Lab Assistant I - Chemistry
- Elgin Community College
- Elgin, IL
- Administrative Jobs
- Academic Affairs, Research Staff & Technicians
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
Job no: 494233
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Categories: Academic Support
Role: Lab Assistant I
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Work Schedule:To Be Determined
Rate of Pay:
This position is a grade 8 with a minimum of $13.00. Hourly rate offer will be commensurate with the education/experience, in alignment with the College’s compensation philosophy, and the current CBA, if applicable.
An employee in this classification performs work of routine difficulty by assisting lab management in laboratory preparation for a variety of college-level classes. Work is distinguished by helping maintain classrooms, prepare laboratory setups, and assist instructors in class. Immediate supervision is received by the assigned manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:1. High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of training and experience.
2. Must have completed college-level chemistry classes with a grade of C or better.
3. Good knowledge of relevant scientific and chemistry course content areas.
4. Considerable skills to work safely and efficiently in a scientific laboratory setting.
5. Working skills in organizing work to meet established deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
6. Working skills in interpersonal interaction to be applied to a variety of individuals with differing education, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
7. Working skills in verbal and written communication.
8. Working skills to follow laboratory protocols, procedures, and safety requirements.
9. Working skills to operate complex laboratory equipment.
10. Working skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
11. Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends when required by the department’s needs.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Essential Duties:1. Prepare laboratory exercise set-ups and student supplies for various science laboratory courses.
2. Prepare stock solutions and media.
3. Clean up and maintain laboratories and prep rooms.
4. Clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
5. Maintain cadavers and cadaver room.
6. Maintains required training, licensure and/or certifications
7. Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws
8. Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
9. Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
10. Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality
Other Duties:1. Assist instructors during class, as required.
2. Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
3. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Medium (up to 50 lbs. occasionally or 30 lbs frequently or 10 lbs constantly)
Visual Acuity (arm’s length)
Typical office or administrative, hazards, fumes or airborne particles
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
This position was posted on 05/26/2022. Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 06/03/2022 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: September 2, 2022 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled
Working at Elgin Community College
Elgin Community College offers 2,000 courses to choose from and services that fit the lifestyles of busy adult learners. Every semester, 6,000 returning adult students take classes at ECC. Their average age is 28, and 80 percent of them are taking one or two courses per semester.
ECC is in the education and training business which means better business for employers and employees. ECC offers relevant and economical professional continuing education, custom business training, and services forsmall business through the corporate and continuing education division of ECC. Students can select from an array of exciting and in-demand topics that allow them to gain the confidence to embark on a new career, start a small businesses, or convert a personal interest into a paid endeavor. Skilled, professional sales representatives work directly with companies and area employers to assure that presentations developed are custom designed. Instructors with real-world know-how, experienced at working with adults, teach the classes. Applicable state training incentives are used to keep programs cost-effective.
ECC Campus: Thirteen buildings grace a picturesque 217-acre campus. It's a modern network of buildings where learning is enhanced by the latest equipment, Internet and wireless access and computer instruction across the curricula. ECC is outfitted for the future and continues to grow to meet the ever-changing needs of our students.
Streamwood Center: In 1998, the college and Village of Streamwood remodeled the lower level of Village Hall to include computer and general purpose classrooms. Classes offered there make it easier for those who live in the eastern portions of ECC’s district to attend college.
Satelitte Campuses: ECC holds classes throughout the northwest suburbs at off-campus locations scattered across the district. Whether it is a medical center where ECC nursing students assist in patient care, a fire station where students transform into prospective lifesavers, or a nearby forest preserve where bird watching takes over on Saturday mornings, ECC classes are somewhere nearby.
Employment at ECC
ECC provides a work environment that is characterized by the shared values of excellence, freedom of inquiry, equity, ethical practices, accountability, respect for diversity and community engagement.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert