Job Description SummaryAs an integral member of the Office of Residence Life, the Graduate Assistant for Residence Life strives to create a fair and just community by promoting student responsibility, accountability and ethical decision making in accordance with the University’s Core Values and Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). The Graduate Assistant for Residence Life intentionally fosters a safe, collaborative and inclusive living community that promotes students’ academic and personal growth. This position is a live-on position with furnished apartment and meal plan.
***In addition to resume please submit the following documents for consideration.***
1. Cover Letter
- Supervise and evaluate undergraduate staff, providing ongoing performance appraisals and semester evaluations
- Provide leadership and direction through individual conferences, student staff meetings and student development programs for Residence Life Staff and residence hall programs
- Assist with new and returning student check-in
- Assist with the coordination of hall opening and closing at the beginning and end of semester breaks, summer housing and vacation periods
- Assist with the Residence Life staff selection and training processes
- Foster positive working relationships and serve as a liaison with Campus Safety, Student Activities, Counseling Services and other University and community offices and organizations
- Act as administrative hearing officer for University code of conduct
- Assist with completing day-to-day operations of the Residence Life Office
- Service in the on-call rotation for crisis response on campus
- Utilize effective inter/intra –office communication
- Foster community development within the residence halls
- Support the University’s mission and values as a contributing member of the community
- Hold one of three collateral assignments for the Office of Residence Life
- Collecting/collating bi-weekly facility checklists
- Participating in area walk-throughs with Plant Operations (one building per week)
- Completing bi-monthly storage/furniture/equipment audits & maintaining inventory
- Managing health and safety inspection process once each semester
- Key management for the residence halls
- Manage campus bicycle registration process
- Implement recycling initiatives and education on-campus
Training & Recruitment:
- Collecting/collating bi-weekly programming reports
- Update program resource area on website with quality program ideas
- Collecting bulletin board/door decoration pictures monthly & putting best examples on website
- Implement large scale community programs including Haunted Marmion
- Responsible for Green and Gold school spirit initiative
- Coordinate the planning, scheduling, and logistics of student staff training
- Co-supervise the recognition and recruitment Resident Assistant committee
- Organize interest sessions and marketing materials for the Resident Assistant position
- Help plan and form the Resident Assistant recruitment process
- Perform other duties as assigned
Terms of Agreement/ Requirements:
- Required to live in assigned residence hall during contract period and abide by all terms and conditions of employment (housing provided)
- Outside time commitments (work, coaching, etc.) must be approved by supervisor
- Extended leave must be arranged in advance and approved by supervisor
- Must complete 20 hours each week during normal office hours (8am-5pm M-F)
Basic Function: Support the University's mission and Core Values as a contributing member of the University's community. Perform administrative tasks specific to training and recruitment of student staff for the department. Perform other duties as assigned by full time Residence Life professional staff.
Experience with higher education administration. Excellent administrative and customer service skills. Ability to meet strict deadlines, prioritize tasks and work independently and as a team-member. Strong organizational, communication and writing skills. Ability to effectively present information to large groups of people. Ability to analyze complex situations and to make sound judgments and decisions. Strong computer skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Leadership, attention to detail, ability to think outside the box, initiative to complete tasks and start projects without supervision.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree with a cumulative 3.0 GPA from their undergraduate program, full-time enrollment as a degree seeking graduate student, must have experience in residence life and serving in an on-call/on-duty rotation.
Climbing, standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing, close visual acuity. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. Ability to move furniture with appropriate handling equipment and lift 50 pounds. Work requires use of computer.
This position is required to serve as a live-in position and will include a furnished apartment and meal plan, Saint Leo University graduate tuition remission and $3000/term (spring, summer & fall) stipend.
About Saint Leo University:
Saint Leo’s campus boasts gracious Spanish architecture, sunny Florida skies, palm trees and plenty of green space across our 153 acres. Students enjoy the breathtaking views of the private lake that can be seen from many of our residence halls. Of all the universities in Florida, Saint Leo has been named one of the best regional colleges in the South, according to U.S. News & World Report. Just 35 miles north of Tampa and an hour west of Orlando, Saint Leo offers the best of both worlds – a peaceful rural campus that is also close Florida’s center of entertainment, culture, business and commerce. Founded in 1889 Saint Leo is the oldest Catholic higher education institution in Florida and has provided a solid liberal arts education grounded and based on the 1,500 year old tradition of Benedictine values since its inception. With over 2,000 students enrolled at University campus, class sizes average 18 students and every residential student is provided a laptop on move-in day. Unique among universities in Tampa, Saint Leo stands at the crossroads of tradition and innovation. Our newest residence halls opened August 2012 and August 2013. The two buildings added an additional 304 beds in suite-style living that feature wood flooring and a wall-mounted flat screen television in each living room. New community space within the halls features an arcade, fitness center, large custom-made saltwater aquarium, video game-play areas, state of the art nap-sleep pods, study spaces and the residence life office suite.
Why Work at Saint Leo?
What it’s Like to Work Here: Ask our employees and the one word they’d use to describe working at Saint Leo University is “Community.” Our team members all share the Saint Leo core values, positive attitudes, and problem-solving abilities, enabling them to provide excellent student centered service. Our mission is educating and preparing students for life and leadership in a challenging world. Thank you for your interest in joining the Saint Leo PRIDE!
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Saint Leo, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Available benefits based on employment status (Full Time vs Part Time).
- Inclusive Group Health Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Group Health Plan features include Teledoc, Surgery Plus!, Wellness Incentive Program, Nationwide Pet Insurance, just to name a few!
- Health Reimbursement Account (University Paid!) and Flexible Spending Accounts (healthcare and dependent options)
- Tuition Remission (Employee, Spouse, and Dependents)*
- Tuition Exchange opportunity for dependent of employees*
- Paid Personal Leave (Sick, Vacation, Holidays)
- 403b - Annual match 3%-9% of pay based on employee’s contribution. University match and fully vested within one month of hire date.
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance valued at 30k (University Paid!)
- Income Protection Benefits after one year
- Additional options for supplemental insurance
*Eligibility based on meeting required service period