Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 40
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday, some flexibility in start and end time (shorter or longer days depending on schedule), TA meetings in the morning, Labs are in the afternoon, preparation for labs, etc.
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
Provide instruction in core laboratory courses as well as support for general and organic chemistry laboratories
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach four undergraduate sections of laboratory, general or organic chemistry, as needed (CHEM 150, 202, 302) per week.
- Assist senior laboratory instructors with preparation of laboratory materials.
- Supervise and coordinate undergraduate student Teaching Assistants and grading.
- Participate in departmental governance, curriculum development and on-campus events.
- Supervision of students during four-hour lab period
Qualifications: BA or BS in chemistry or related discipline
Physical Demands: • Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
• Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time.
• Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
• Sufficient clarity of speech required includes those which permit the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
• Employee talks in front of large groups of people on a daily basis.
• Employee speaks with students and other faculty daily by telephone, e-mail, or in person on a daily basis.
• Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
• Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
• Employee is reading and correcting assignments, evaluating student writing, presentations, projects, research assignments, etc.
• Employee operates office equipment and computers to perform essential duties and responsibilities.
Working Conditions: • The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
• Employee may sometimes wear safety attire when exposed to contaminants or hazardous conditions.
• Employee works in laboratory environments with a wide range of hazardous materials.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.