The School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences (SHRS) is seeking someone to fill a part-time .50 FTE Program Manager role, working closely with Dr. Teresa J Kimberley, PT, PhD, FAPTA, Director of the PhD program in Rehabilitation Sciences. The PhD Program Manager will be responsible for general administrative and operations functions including student support and organization, budget, personnel, grant administration, academic proposals, accreditation reports, and policy interpretation in the PhD in Rehabilitation Science program. This position provides administrative support to the Program/Department and/or their designees. The Program Manager will become knowledgeable about the Institute, SHRS, and the PhD program in Rehabilitation Sciences
to effectively communicate and represent the School, the PhD program, and IHP course offerings. The position requires close interaction and cooperation with the leadership team of the PhD Program in Rehabilitation Sciences, as well as Admissions, the Registrar, web design team, the Office of Student and Alumni Services, the Office of Information Technology, and the Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Office.Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Program Manager will report directly to Drs. Kimberley and Townsend. The Program Manager is expected to work both independently and as a collaborative team member with others, including PhD students in Rehabilitation Sciences, PhD program faculty, IHP staff, and a graduate assistant. General administrative operations:
Academic program support:
- Maintains appropriate office systems, word processing, databases, drafting basic correspondence, copying, filing, processing forms and requisitions while ensuring accuracy.
- Establishes, coordinates, monitors, and revises database systems (i.e., Microsoft Teams, Formstack, D2L) for accurate program records of faculty, alumni, and program accomplishments; course syllabi and schedules; student files; special funds and projects; research and recruitment efforts.
- Maintains calendars and schedules appointments for program administrative leaders.
- Performs routine office related administrative duties such as order supplies, greet visitors and prospective students, handle incoming calls, provide assistance or make referrals to appropriate staff.
- Successfully tracks and manages numerous tasks simultaneously.
Communications & student-facing support:
- Becomes well-versed in PhD program curriculum, course offerings and schedules.
- Maintains, tracks and updates student files with their CVs, biosketches, and documentation for graduation audits, while tracking student milestone progress.
- Oversees student compliance with academic requirements, immunizations and other new and ongoing student requirements.
- Supports admissions processes including assistance with recruitment, organizing and distributing applications during the review process, facilitating program communication with applicants,
- communicating with the Office of Admissions, etc.
- Facilitates pre-matriculation and exiting student processes.
- Supports the weekly Interdisciplinary Research Seminar: sends reminder communications to speakers and students, collects presentation information, distributes articles to students, tracks attendance and other course requirements, organizes on-sight and remote access for participants, distributes course recordings, etc.
- Markets seminar guest speaker sessions, dissertation defenses, and other events via flyers, email, Outlook/IHP calendars, Teams posts, etc.
- Schedules qualifying and dissertation exams and collect/archive exam results.
- Staffs and supports PhD committees, faculty meetings, and student meetings by assisting in the preparation and distribution of materials; scheduling, attending and taking minutes.
- Provides on-site and virtual (Zoom) course assistance as needed
- Manages term lecturer contracts.
- Identifies and communicates areas for improvement in program processes to leadership, and implements solutions accordingly.
- Organizes biannual social/ recognition gatherings for students
Budget & payment processing:
- Serves as first point of contact for PhD program inquiries from prospective/current students by being available during weekly Seminars; monitoring department and program email and phone; and being knowledgeable in PhD program curriculum, course offerings, schedules, policy and procedures.
- Performs routine office related administrative duties such as greet visitors, prospective students, and visiting faculty; handle incoming calls; provide assistance or make referrals to appropriate staff.
- Sends program communications via email, Outlook calendar, and Teams.
- Submits requests to update program website or other marketing material as needed.
- Monitors spending to stay within program budgets
- Manages student funding requests: check for allowable expenses per program policy, assist with reimbursement/purchase procedures, and track individual student spending.
- Manages term lecturer, guest lecturer, and student award payments.
- Supervises graduate assistant payroll: approve Kronos timecards and track payments to stay within budget.
- Processes and tracks purchase orders, check requests and business expense reports via online accounts payable systems. Maintains familiarity with MGB Finance policy changes and processes as needed.
- Plans, attends, and oversees program orientation, awards ceremony, biannual receptions, and additional program events as needed.
- Serves on the SHRS Anti-Oppression Task Force; facilitates Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion initiatives for interdisciplinary PhD students.
- Contributes to other special projects as needed to advance the PhD RS program and further IHP strategic priorities.
QualificationsEducation and Experience Qualifications:
Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2-4 years working in office environment; program/project management experience a plus
- Familiarity with higher education and clinical research a plus.
About the MGH Institute:
- Ability to work independently and prioritize among deliverables
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, customer and team oriented
- Must be able to function flexibly as a team player
- Exceptional organizational skills and careful attention to details
- Ability to follow directions and work collaboratively as part of a team
- Computer literacy, with working knowledge of Microsoft office suite (Word, PPT, Outlook, Excel, Teams)
- Experience with Zoom and virtual meeting management
- Familiarity with student support software and online learning platforms (e.g. D2L, Canvas)
- Initiative in anticipating and resolving problems
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks/projects and frequent interruptions
- Willing to take on additional duties as requested
MGH Institute of Health Professions is a graduate school in Boston that provides entry-level and post-professional programs in Nursing, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Genetic Counseling, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Studies. The PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences and a PhD and Master of Science in Health Professions Education have been added in recent years to meet rising demand for highly educated health care professionals, educators, and researchers. Integrating classroom learning with research and clinical experience, the Institute grants doctoral degrees, master's degrees, awards certificates of advanced study, and offers continuing education to practicing professionals.The IHP is the only degree-granting affiliate in Mass General Brigham (MGB), the largest private employer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Institute has been recognized multiple times by The Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For.” A leading health sciences educational institution, MGH Institute provides students with outstanding academic programs, many of which are ranked among the best in the nation.MGH Institute of Health Professions has announced an organization-wide anti-racism initiative to think boldly about race and bring together all members of the IHP community to address systemic racial injustice as well as oppression more broadly. The plan seeks to create a supportive and inclusive campus environment and better support the diverse communities the school serves. We are excited about this new initiative and are hiring employees who are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and will contribute to our anti-racism and anti-oppression approach. Primary Location:
MA-Charlestown-MGH IHPWork Locations:
MGH IHP (MGHCharlestownIHP)
36 First Avenue
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)Schedule:
Day JobEmployee Status:
May 19, 2022