: 01-50-5086-MS ReadingLocations:
: Longmeadow, MAPosted:
: May 23, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: AdjunctPosition ID:
About Bay Path University:
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student...to start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and three satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: ADJOL
- Job Type: PT Adjunct
- Traditional On Ground or Online class: Online
- Undergraduate or Graduate class: Graduate
- Pre-Practicum Overview Session held in August, 2022
- Date class is scheduled: January 7, 2023, Feb 4, 2023, March 11, 2023, April 8 , 2023 (May 6, 2023 optional)
- Weekly: January 2023 - May 2023: Check weekly logs and sign, communicate with practicum candidate and supervising practitioner weekly. Conduct three ZOOM Observations between January 2023 - April 2023
- Class schedule: Saturdays
- Duration of class: sessions 9:00am - 12:30pm
- Zoom class time: Practicum Seminar Sessions; January 7, 2023 Feb 4, 2023, March 11, 2023 April 8, 2023 (May 6, 2023 optional)
- Course Description: This practicum is carried out in Massachusetts Public schools or DESE approved SPED private school. The practicum consists of the reading licensure candidate logging hours and gathering evidence based on the Massachusetts Professional Teacher Standards (PSTs).
- Practicum Program Supervisor Role Description: At the start of the practicum, each Practicum Candidate is assigned a Practicum Program Supervisor who will work with the Practicum Teacher Candidate throughout the experience. It is the Practicum Program Supervisor's responsibility to ensure that the Practicum Teacher Candidate is given the opportunity to become an effective and reflective decision-maker and to have a successful practicum. The Practicum Program Supervisor monitors progress, notes strengths, areas of refinement and/or concerns in person during Three-Way meetings and on designated evaluation forms. If the Practicum Candidate does not at least meet the standard at the time of the second observation by the Practicum Program Supervisor, the Practicum Candidate, Practicum Program Supervisor and Supervising Practitioner will address the areas of concern. Throughout the practicum, the Practicum Program Supervisor maintains contact with the Supervising Practitioner to discuss the Practicum Candidate's progress. It is the role of the Practicum Program Supervisor to ensure that the Practicum Candidate meets the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education requirements for licensure as a Reading Specialist.
- Attend one 4-hour Pre- Practicum Overview Session August, 2022
- Attend five 4-hour Practicum Seminar Sessions January - May, 2023
- Review Mid and Final PSTs and KPSs Rating Charts
- Communicate weekly with the Supervising Practitioner
- Review Weekly Practicum Log and provide feedback
- Review Supervising Practitioner Weekly Feedback Form and provide feedback
- Observe three virtual real time Lesson Presentations and complete a Lesson Observation Feedback Forms immediately following the lesson observations
- Attend Three-Way real time virtual meetings immediately following the lesson presentations
- Support the Practicum Candidate while gathering evidence based on the PSTs.
- Complete a Final Assessment Form based on the practicum candidate performance during the field experience
- Review and grade practicum candidate's final practicum e-binder (portfolio)
- Maintain good communication with the Practicum Advisor
Degree requirements for position: At least a Masters or advance degree in reading and writing Massachusetts Reading Specialist Licensure; A deep understanding and background in the science of reading
Previous teaching experience: Experience as a Reading Specialist, Reading Coach, and Classroom Teacher
Expectations: The candidate responsibilities may include advising students, supporting student recruitment efforts, providing service to the graduate program, department, university, and the professional community, demonstrating commitment towards diversity, equity, and inclusion, other duties as assigned.
- The Practicum and Program Licensure Course Content Alignment with PSTs, SMKs, and KPSs
- Bay Path University's Reading and Literacy Instruction Degree program with MA reading specialist licensure is aligned with The Professional Standards for Teachers (PSTs), Subject Matter Knowledge Guidelines (SMKs), and International Dyslexia Association's Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading (KPSs).
- The Professional Standards for Teachers (PSTs) define the pedagogical and other professional knowledge and skills required of all teachers. These PSTs and indicators are used in designing teacher preparation programs and in preparing teacher candidates.
- Subject Matter Knowledge Guidelines (SMKs) set forth the content knowledge expectations for educator licensure in Massachusetts to ensure that educators entering the workforce have sufficient content knowledge in their licensure area to support students in mastering relevant standards in Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks (2017). SMK guidelines are directly aligned with the standards detailed in the Pre-K-12 Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks (2017) appropriate for the subject and grade level license, wherever possible.
- Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading (KPSs) set forth the knowledge and skills that all teachers of reading are expected to possess to advance students' reading and writing profiles from a Structured Literacy Approach in the classroom, remedial, and
Other Qualifications and Requirements:
- Provide exceptional service in all responsibilities and interactions demonstrating versatility in handling people and situations
- Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, and students needs and expectations; anticipate and identify students' needs
- Communicate, cooperate and collaborate well with others
- Willingly assists in various responsibilities as appropriate
- Develop and nurture an effective, productive, and respectful rapport and working relationship with students and Reading Faculty
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and organizational skills, a sense of humor, flexibility, and creativity
- Demonstrate strong written, telephone, and electronic communication skills
- Communicate information clearly and concisely and listen well to others
- Maintain a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work to detect errors, oversights, or omissions
- Take immediate action when necessary assuming initiative for creative problem solving
- Demonstrate creativity and high energy
- Accomplish tasks with follow through to completion
- Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, and functions within the program or position
- Must possess an aptitude for using Zoom and Canvas Learning Management System
- Ability to adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, equity, respect and inclusion.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose, and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures equity, respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter, resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
Bay Path University is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and learning in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women and all underrepresented backgrounds. An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.
Bay Path University is a smoke and tobacco-free community.
All offers of employment are contingent on satisfactory background checking.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position please email us at [email protected] or call 413-565-1168.