Digital Extremism Analyst
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
Posting Number :
CTEC's Digital Extremism Analyst is responsible for executing, with limited oversight, CTEC's Digital Extremism research vertical's programming, including administration of large scale OSINT-based online extremism projects that directly interface with technology sector entities. In close collaboration with CTEC's Research Lead for Digital Extremism, the Digital Extremism Analyst contributes to hiring and coordination of student researchers, facilitates development and delivery of client deliverables, and assists with the identification of and application to new opportunities. The candidate should be able to demonstrate specialized knowledge and familiarity with open-source intelligence (OSINT) techniques and exposure to applied research. In addition, they should have familiarity with accelerationism, right-wing extremism, and relevant terrorism trends. The candidate should have demonstrated communication and verbal skills, as well as experience writing applied research reports or conducting academic research projects.
The Digital Extremism Analyst also leads efforts to publish open-source, non-confidential research. This can involve writing, editing, and publication submission, as relevant.
- Apply subject matter expertise to conduct qualitative research and analysis for client deliverables and analytical research projects within CTEC’s Digital Extremism vertical
- Conduct, with limited supervision, open source primary research on accelerationist threat actors, identify emerging trends in accelerationist activities online and offline, track federal law enforcement arrests and investigations related to accelerationist terrorism, and collating primary source documents obtained from archives
- Draft short and long form analytical reports for external publication
- Expected to run client meetings and conduct briefings or workshops
- Assist in the hiring and supervision of graduate student researchers
- Collaborate with Senior Research Scholar and Research Lead on the creation of strategic direction for CTEC’s Digital Extremism vertical
- Provides administrative assistance for the implementation of Digital Extremism projects.
- Undertakes other support functions for CTEC as requested.
Candidate should have an advanced degree in a related field (international relations, international security, sociology, nonproliferation and terrorism studies), or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of and interest in extremist movements and groups, as well as P/CVE education and intervention.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage teams of researchers.
- Experience conducting research of Internet-based communities, social movements, or linguistics.
- Experience with applied OSINT research and tecniques.
- A record of publications, course papers, or other research material preferred.
- Foreign language working proficiency is strongly preferred.
- Some experience managing budgets.
- Proficiency with Google Suite.
2-3 years experience in a related field or equivalent degree.
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey maintains a smoke-free workplace and complies with the Federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and Drug-Free Workplace Act. Essential job functions require ability to sit for extended periods of time, walk, bend, climb, push/pull, lift and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally. Also requires fine dexterity and ability to grasp, i.e. for writing and word processing/data entry.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply, please visit: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/26906
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, Middlebury recruits talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across the United States and around the world. Middlebury encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of other protected classes and historically underrepresented communities. Middlebury also invites applications from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency