Founding Director of Nursing
Academic Affairs, Office of the Provost
St. Edward's University, a nationally ranked, independent Catholic university and Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) invites applications for a full time, 12-month, tenured, tenure track, or non-tenure track position as Founding Director of Nursing, beginning July, 2022. St. Edward's is characterized by its commitment to the Holy Cross educational mission to educate the hearts and minds of a diverse student body that is deeply committed to social justice.
St. Edward's University has just embarked on an ambitious strategic plan titled, "A Destination University for a More Just World". This strategic plan is focused on academic excellence and distinction while positioning the university as a partner with the community in addressing challenges and needs. Equitable access to healthcare, and the availability of trained health professionals are examples of the challenges facing many communities across the country, including Central Texas. The strategic plan calls for the development of new programs and a new school in health sciences. These new programs and new school will complement an existing portfolio of programs focused on behavioural health and programs in natural sciences with a strong focus on preparation for post-baccalaureate study in the health professions.
The development of nursing programs is the first step in this ambitious health sciences initiative. The Founding Director of Nursing has the opportunity to build a portfolio of nursing programs at a mission driven institution. The Director will be charged with developing a long-range plan for the development and growth of nursing programs that support the broader goals of the university.
The Founding Director of Nursing is a 12-month administrative position with faculty status. The position will report directly to the Provost. The successful candidate will oversee the development and approval of new undergraduate nursing programs, hiring of faculty, buildout of lab space, and development of clinical agreements.
St. Edward's University embraces excellence through diversity and especially encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented racial, ethnic, sexual, and gender minority groups. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to supporting a diverse student body.
Qualifications for consideration include the following:
- Earned Doctorate in Nursing or a related field from a regionally accredited institution. A Master's degree in Nursing degree is required if the doctoral degree is not in nursing.
- An unencumbered license to practice nursing in the state of TX
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience in nursing higher education.
- Minimum of 3 years administrative experience at the undergraduate level or above.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in clinical practice.
- Experience in nursing program development and accreditation
- Provide leadership in the development, implementation and communication of the mission, values, and philosophy of the nursing programs
- Lead the development of curriculum for RN to BSN, traditional BSN and accelerated BSN programs.
- Oversee the approval process for these programs through internal governance at the university, state approvals, and regional accreditors
- Seek appropriate national accreditation for the nursing programs
- Development of relationships within the area medical community in support of clinical placements for the nursing programs, and the provision of quality healthcare professionals
- Collaborate with internal university stakeholders on specification of overall space needs and the build-out of lab space for the nursing programs
- Lead the hiring of faculty to teach in these programs
- Mentor and support the development of nursing faculty
- Oversee the successful launch of the nursing programs once approved
- Ensure maintenance of program quality and rigor, and continuous assessment of program outcomes
- Collaborate with enrollment management and marketing to support recruitment, enrollment and retention of students in nursing programs
- Collaborate with stakeholders across campus in support of a vibrant, robust, and academically rigorous student experience
- Teach up to 6 credit hours per semester (12 credit hours per year)
- Utilize a management style characterized by transparency, integrity, commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice, and a commitment to support the overall development and success of all students, faculty and staff within the nursing programs.
- Other duties as assigned
The University offers an excellent TOTAL REWARDS package! An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
Medical & Rx Coverage (HSA & FSA Available), Dental, Vision, Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Pet Insurance, Annual Leave & Paid Sick Leave, Retirement Plan, Tuition Benefits, Paid Holidays, and Services & Discounts
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should apply online at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com. Application packages should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, names and contact information for three references, and a statement describing your teaching philosophy. In addition, all applications must include a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement that details the candidate's (1) knowledge, (2) track record, and (3) plans for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion as a professional at St. Edward's University (2-page maximum). Your DEI statement should be included as a separate document and should not contain your name or any other personally identifiable information.
Applicants should submit materials by 06/17/22 for full consideration; however, the position will remain open until filled.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic, liberal arts institution of 2,900 undergraduate and 700 graduate students located in Austin, Texas. It is an exciting time to be part of the St. Edward's community as the university increases its global engagement to educate students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st-century world. SEU is a diverse community that appreciates faculty and students from all backgrounds. Consistent with its Holy Cross heritage, the university maintains a strong commitment to diversity and global initiatives. More information about St. Edward's University may be found at www.stedwards.edu.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion St. Edwards University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures equity, respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community. For more information on our commitment to diversity, please visit our website https://www.stedwards.edu/about-us/diversity-equity-inclusion.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. We require U.S. citizenship or permanent residency for employment, and we are not offering visa sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
We not offer employment sponsorship at this time.
Available: July 7, 2022
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.