Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Office of Emergency Management (OEM)
is excited to provide an opportunity for recent graduates to explore career options, apply academic knowledge and skills to the workplace, gain career skills, build resumes and network with emergency management and homeland security professionals.
Through this one year, full-time salaried experential program, the Emergency Management Fellow
will participate in projects through an increasing level of responsibility and will become involved with a broad range of preparedness, continuity, training, and exercise efforts. OEM is partnered with the Maryland Department of Emergency Management which will allow the Emergency Management Fellow to work on initiatives that mitigate, prevent, and prepare for a broad range of natural, technological, and human-caused hazards including consequences from acts of terrorism. This opportunity will prepare the candidate for career opportunities in the field of emergency management. ***This is a Full-Time, Contractual Position*** Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. The ideal candidate will personally connect with the Administration and Finance Guiding Principles which closely mirror UMB’s core values: Respect and Integrity, Well-Being and Sustainability, Equity and Justice, and Innovation and Discovery.
UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Ideal Candidates Are:
- Honest, energetic, and trustworthy self starters eager to actively contribute as a part the collaborative OEM Team.
- Strong communicators, writers, and public speakers ready to conduct training and facilitate exercises.
- Hardworkers seeking to expand their experience serving in key roles on planning committees, exercise planning teams, and during incidents.
Bachelor’s degree. Preferred Education:
GPA of 3.0 or higher; Master’s degree in emergency management, homeland security, public safety, public administration, public relations, or communications. Required Experience:
N/A Preferred Experience:
- Serving in a paid or volunteer position related to emergency response or community service.
- Demonstrated record of related accomplishments and the ability to work collaboratively and by consensus.
N/A Preferred Licensure/Certification:
N/A Supervisory Experience:
N/A Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Hiring Range: $49,000 - $50,500 (Commensurate with education and experience) Schedule: Monday-Friday, 40-hour-per-week, hybrid on-site and telework
- Language – English, fluent in a second language is a plus.
- Emergency Planning (Knowledge) – Familiarity with knowledge of emergency management principles, practices, organizations and procedures.
- Technology (Knowledge) – Applys knowledge of general office equipment and computers to include word processing, spreadsheet, and related software.
- Customer Service (Knowledge) — Demonstrates experience applying knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service. Commitments to UMB Core Values which include: Respect and Integrity, Well-being and Sustainability, Equity and Justice, and Innovation and Discovery, and Work-Life Balance.
- Critical Thinking (Skills) – Uses logic and reasoning to understand, analyze, and evaluate complex situations and research information to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches.
- Interpersonal Relationships (Skills) – Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with employees and all levels of management to include representatives from other departments and organizations.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
Office of Administration & FinanceJob Posting:
May 18, 2022Unposting Date: