Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, is seeks to hire a 3rd shift Custodian to provide all the cleaning, waste, and recyclable removal services, snow clearing of all entrances, carpeting and hard floor maintenance, and light bulb changes on campus. These custodians are also responsible for event set ups, including delivery and set of up tables, chairs and equipment, cleaning prior to and after an event and tear down of the equipment. Hours for the 3rd shift: Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00 pm - 6:30 am
The position will start at $19.00 per hour. After six months, the hourly wage will increase to $21.00. After one year wages will increase to $23.50.
- Routine cleaning to include dusting, vacuuming, cleaning/washing/disinfecting surfaces, collecting and hauling trash, care of hard-surfaced and carpeted floors, cleaning restrooms and shower rooms, cleaning elevator interiors and pits
- Additional periodic duties may include washing exterior windows, stripping and refinishing of floors, replacing light bulbs, removing snow by shoveling and/or the use of power snow blowers, and performing necessary College event set-ups and other work as required and instructed
- Complete and maintain supply order requests, and insure an adequate supply stock is maintained in the building
- Observe building conditions and take necessary actions to maintain or repair situations by submitting work orders for repairs and performing minor repairs and reporting any loss, damage, breakage or unsafe conditions, or maintenance problems immediately
- Maintain security of assigned keys, building lock-up and unlocking, room opening and closing per instructions
- Train, work with, and/or coordinate the responsibilities of Facilities Services student employees
- High school diploma or GED required
- Minimum of 1 year professional custodial or janitorial experience required
- Ability to fluently read, write, and speak the English language required
- Ability to use all types of automatic and power cleaning equipment in association with the professional experience
- Ability to walk or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to write short work orders describing maintenance problems
- Physical demands to be tested for will include:
- Ability to perform bending, twisting, squatting, crawling, and climbing
- Lifting 50 lb mop bucket (on floor) so that the lip of the bucket reaches 30” height as in dumping in a sink (1 time; may use two hands)
- Lifting 50 lb box from floor level to waist level (3 times)
- Lifting 50 lb trash container to shoulder height as in dumping into dumpster (3 times)
- Undergo a Criminal Background check in accordance with the Kari Koskinen Manager Background Check Act
- Must possess a valid Minnesota Driver’s License
For consideration, please submit your resume through Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage, this posting will remain up until the opportunity has been filled. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.
Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:
For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine regimen.Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance.
Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at [email protected]