Redlands Campus, Redlands, CA – On-siteAPPOINTMENT:
Staff, Non-Exempt, 12 months / 40 hoursWORK SCHEDULE:
Monday – Friday 1:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.STARTING WAGE:
$20.57 per hourGRADE:
Six (6) monthsPOSTING DATE:
May 18, 2022APPLICATION DEADLINE:
June 1, 2022, 2:00 pm, P.S.T.
The Lead Custodian coordinates and leads custodial services for the University. Responsible for planning work, developing schedules, assigning tasks, training, and providing guidance to custodial staff. Act as the Custodial Manager in that individual’s absence.
Reporting to the Custodian Manager, oversees the cleaning of academic, administrative, residential, athletic and any other university buildings. Ensures all safety procedures are adhered to. Conducts job walks to ensure quality of work and to ensure proper personal protective equipment (PPE) is being used and that all equipment necessary for a project is available. Responds to emergency calls and may be required to work cross shifts and weekends as needed. Fill in for custodians when short staffed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinates the work assignments of custodial, floor care technicians and other staff engaged in cleaning University buildings.
- Coordinates cleaning schedules to support campus events and functions.
- Assists in assessing and monitoring employee productivity; provides suggestions for increased service or added efficiency in operations.
- Mentors and motivates custodial staff.
- Manages work orders to ensure priorities are met and all work is completed within departmental standard timelines.
- Orients and trains employees as needed on new processes or techniques.
- Orders custodial supplies as needed, keeps adequate inventory to meet needs of campus.
- Uses approved biohazard disposal methods as needed.
- Adheres to safety procedures and safe work practices; oversees and ensures staff carry out assigned duties and responsibilities with careful attention to applicable safety regulations.
- Maintains department confidence and safeguards operations by keeping information confidential; adheres to all safety and University policies and procedures.
- Contributes to department goals and objectives by accomplishing related duties as needed.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five years of custodial work or related experience with one year of lead experience. Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- A valid California Class C CA drivers’ license with a good driving record is required. A current DMV printout demonstrating a good driving record will be required prior to offer of employment.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of custodial practices, safety rules, regulations, and procedure.
- Ability to operate and maintain all custodial cleaning equipment and report any issues.
- Ability to lead by example, teach, and mentor custodian staff.
- Working knowledge of cleaning chemicals.
- Ability to clearly communicate information both verbally and in writing.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, and detail orientated
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Follow appropriate safety rules and regulation.
- Knowledge of personal computers and personal computer software and applications.
- Aptitude to learn new and evolving technology.
- Ability to recommend appropriate courses of action within established guidelines.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Understand, interpret, explain, and apply applicable federal and state policies and laws.
- Ability to foster strong, positive relationships and align both internal and external resources to achieve university objectives.
- Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Hours may vary according to the needs of the University.
Incumbents regularly stand for periods of time; speak clearly and distinctly to answer telephones and to provide information; see to read fine print and operate computer; hear and understand voices over telephone and in person; use hands and fingers to operate an electronic keyboard or other office machines; walk on a regular basis; travel to various locations; finger dexterity may be required to utilize and operate the specialized tools and equipment; distinguish colors and have depth perception; reach with hands and arms; pushing, pulling lifting and occasional crawling; stoop or kneel or crouch; ascend/descent ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps and/or poles; and lift, carry and/or move objects typically weighing up to 10-25 pounds and on occasion up to 50 pounds. There may be exposure to dirt/dust, chemicals/solvents, and noise with occasional exposure to temperature extremes and vibrations.
TO APPLY: A resume/CV and cover letter are required. In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call (909) 748-8040.
INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19: New employees are required to submit proof of having received the full course dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine or submitting an exemption request for medical or religious reasons within sixty (60) days from your date of hire.FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIThttp://www.redlands.edu/human-resources/employment/SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER