Adjunct Instructor, Veterinary Technician or Veterinarian
POSITION TITLE: Adjunct Instructor, Veterinary Technician or Veterinarian
DEPARTMENT: Agriculture and Horticulture Sciences
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
UNION: Adjunct Faculty
REPORTS TO: Department Chair & Vet Tech coordinator
PLACEMENT: Adjunct Faculty
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Refer to current adjunct faculty contract
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its faculty.
An adjunct community college instructor is an instructor hired for one semester to teach one or more courses for which he/she is qualified to teach. The adjunct instructor reports to the appropriate Instructional Coordinator and/or Department Chair; provides quality instruction for the assigned courses. The instructor works with full-time faculty in assessing students and following all course guidelines. Willingness to teach at other campus sites is required. Adjunct instructors may submit preferences for locations and loads. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College adjunct faculty contract.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach classes in appropriate instructional area.
2. Participate in annual student and chair/coordinator evaluations.
3. Comply with departmental curriculum, grading standards, attendance policies, textbook choices, and assessments, and other established processes.
4. Attend classes regularly; return college reports, credentials, and other requested documentation in a timely manner; effectively communicate with appropriate staff and chair.
5. Comply with all legal and ethical obligations, including FERPA, ADA, and other regulatory legislations. Communicate discrepancies to appropriate officials.
6. Commit to furthering the mission, goals, and core values of the college at all times.
7. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College adjunct faculty contract.
8. Teach day and/or evening sections of lecture and lab.
9. Demonstrate strong understanding and commitment to the community college mission.
10. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
11. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
1. Credentialed Veterinary Technician or DVM.
2. Graduate of an AVMA or AAVSB accredited program.
3. Three (3) years of clinical experience.
4. Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction based on the course outline.
5. Demonstrated commitment to teaching and learning.
6. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and well-being, innovation and quality.
1. Teaching experience at the collegiate level.
2. Experience at the community college level.
3. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds.
4. Experience with Power Point.
5. Experience in course development and assessment, planning, quality and accreditation processes, and committee service.
6. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
7. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. Standard classroom equipment and software.
1. Classroom teaching environment.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):