Computational Fluid Dynamics Postdoctoral Fellow - GRANT-FUNDED
- University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
- North Dartmouth, MA
- Faculty Jobs
- Science & Technology, Computer Science & Information Technology
- Administrative Jobs
- Academic Affairs, Sponsored Programs, Grants & Contracts
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Job no: 512964
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Postdoctoral Fellow
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
WORKING TITLE: Post-Doc
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Non-Unit
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 35
JOB CODE: 1965
REPORTS TO: Professor Robert Fisher, Physics Dept.
SUPERVISES: Graduate and undergraduate research assistants
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To conduct research under the supervision of Dr. Robert Fisher in the physics department at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, in collaboration with the University of Connecticut the Naval Research Laboratory; and potentially provide leadership and supervision for a group of graduate and undergraduate students. The Post-Doctoral Fellow will be member of a research group and will be expected to support research by means of original research activities, collaboration with team members, supervision and mentoring of junior members of the research team, and assisting with grant proposal preparation and administration. The successful candidate will work on self-consistent hydrodynamical simulations of type Ia supernovae.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and conduct multidimensional hydrodynamical simulations.
- Prepare and publish manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications.
- Assist with grant proposal preparation.
- Assist with grant administration.
- Supervise graduate and undergraduate research assistants and technical associates.
- Provide clear and regular communication to the supervisor on research progress, technique and findings.
- Present work at conferences.
- Engage with cross-disciplinary research.
EDUCATION: Ph.D. or equivalent in astrophysics, astronomy, physics, or a closely-related field. *Will consider ABD
EXPERIENCE: Research Experience. Specific requirements include a background in high performance computing, and one or more relevant research areas (numerical hydrodynamics, turbulence modeling, and nuclear astrophysics).
OTHER: Record of peer-reviewed publications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong oral communication and writing skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to effectively supervise a research group
- Ability to originate ideas for new areas of research
- Ability to design and operate computational codes
- Ability to quickly understand new ideas, techniques and procedures
- Significant knowledge of the research area under study
- Ability to support the supervisor in all aspects of research
- Ability to write research reports for submission to outside agencies
- Ability to write grant proposals
- Ability to prepare and deliver high quality research presentations
- Specific research skills determined by the supervising faculty member
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Important Notice
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.This position will remain open until filled.
Advertised: 17 Nov 2022 Eastern Standard Time
Located on the Massachusetts south coast, only a short drive from Cape Cod, Providence and Boston, the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth has been ranked among the top northern public universities by U.S. News and World Report. The quality of life on the south coast of Massachusetts is rich with cultural attractions, beautifully preserved and restored historic districts, museums, live theatre and an excellent educational system. Recreational opportunities include boating, beaches, rivers, golf courses, camping grounds, beautiful state parks, waterfront parks and a new zoo.
UMass Dartmouth offers a broad range of baccalaureate and graduate degrees vital to the economic, social and cultural wellbeing of the region. It has an enrollment of over 9,200 students in over 40 undergraduate and 36 graduate programs (including 11 at the Ph.D. level) offered by the College of Arts and Sciences, the Charlton College of Business, the College of Engineering, the College of Nursing, the College of Visual and Performing Arts and the School for Marine Science and Technology. The main campus was designed by the eminent architect Paul Rudolf and is located on 710 acres in North Dartmouth. Other university sites include theCenter for Marine Science and Technology on the waterfront in New Bedford, the Advanced Technology and Manufacturing Center in Fall River and the Star Store Center for the Arts in New Bedford.
While retaining its commitment to excellence in undergraduate education, UMass Dartmouth has increased dramatically its research and outreach activities during the past ten years. R&D spending has increased in the last five years from $20.1 million to $25.6 million and the university has established centers in Policy Studies, Portuguese Studies & Culture, Business Research, Marine Science &Technology and Indic Studies to significantly expand its research and public service activities in ways that meet regional needs but have global impact.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert