Marketing & Communications Coordinator, The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures, 68302 Location:
UMKC Volker Campus Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures
The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures is seeking a detail-oriented, candidate to fulfill the role of Marketing & Communications Coordinator.
The purpose of this role is to support T/m’s mission, strategic, and DEAI goals to reach new and returning audiences through marketing and communications initiatives. The Marketing & Communications Coordinator is responsible for creating and distributing print and digital marketing efforts and is the first point of contact with the media. The ideal candidate will have experience across multiple marketing platforms and social media channels/groups, have exceptional writing and editing skills, and strong ability to work with variety of internal and external partners. This position will work closely with other staff members to plan and develop messaging and strategies to promote attendance, program and event participation, and social media engagement.
Duties and responsibilities
- Write, plan, and design eye-catching social media posts to engage with museum audience, advance membership, program and event initiatives
- Plan, write and create email marketing campaigns
- Draft and distribute press releases, respond to media requests and interviews
- Create and maintain event calendar, website content, and communications schedule
- Curate content, format, and distribute weekly newsletter
- Oversee the content, design, and production of print materials, publications, promotional flyers, signage, and videos
- Identify marketing opportunities and coordinate the purchase of print and radio ads
- Monitor, route and answer all correspondence for museum’s info account
- Contribute to special events, as assigned
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- Solid knowledge of WordPress, graphic design, video editing, website and marketing analytics tools
- 1-3 years of varied content creation and marketing experienceDemonstrated technical proficiency with social media platforms, Microsoft Office, Creative Cloud Applications (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat), and email marketing software (MailChimp, Constant Contact).
- Strong creative, organizational, time management, and communications skills
- Thorough, attentive to detail, and comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Desire to learn/grow, self-motivated and thrive in a results-driven environment
- Ability to multitask, manage projects concurrently, and adapt quickly, especially when internal priorities shift
Full Time/Part Time
Full-time, benefit eligible.
Benefits include medical insurance, dental plans, 403(b) savings plan, paid time off, UMKC tuition assistance, paid long-term disability and life insurance benefits. T/m participates in the UMKC’s Total Reward program; link for complete information: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/total-rewards/benefits/
$16.92 - $19.00/hr, commensurate with education, experience, and internal equity.
Monday – Friday, with occasional evening or Saturday/Sunday. 8 am - 5 pm.
This position will remain open until filled with an initial application review to start on May 31st.
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
Often described as one of the best museums in Kansas City, T/m is striving to reach new audiences to share the world’s largest collection of fine-scale miniatures and the largest collection of antique toys on public display. T/m’s mission is to educate, inspire, and delight adults and children through the museum’s collection and preservation of toys and miniatures. For more information, click here
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
UMKC Statement on Diversity Diversity, equity and inclusion are central to the UMKC mission as an urban-serving institution. Kansas City is a particularly diverse city, including African, African American, Asian, German, Irish, Italian, Latino, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Native American and Slavic communities. Such ethnic diversity, in addition to our thriving neighborhoods of the Westside, Northeast Kansas City and the Eastside, fosters creativity, connection and innovation, which is showcased across the region. Major attractions such as the Annual Ethnic Enrichment Festival, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, the Filipino Cultural Center, the American Jazz Museum, Guadalupe Centers and Mattie Rhodes and Kansas City Irish Fest are a small sample of the many ways our diverse city enriches us.
For the reasons enumerated above, UMKC’s strategic plan prioritizes our commitment to multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion. The university’s values call upon its faculty, staff, students and community to position themselves as global citizens who seek out, embrace and celebrate the many benefits of diversity. UMKC received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award in 2019 in recognition of our continued commitment to equity and inclusion. Such commitment is demonstrated across teaching, service and research. We welcome applicants to share in our commitment to these core values and know that you will quickly understand the beauty of calling Kansas City your home.
Please visit these pages to learn more about UMKC’s engagement in diversity, equity and inclusion.
Roos Advocate for Community Change
The Division of Diversity and Inclusion
Multicultural Student Affairs