Academic Services Specialist
The Office of the Registrar is seeking a Academic Services Specialist
who will report to the Academic Services Administrator on Homewood Campus, this position is responsible for overseeing the data management, systems processes, policy implementation and workflow of the following functions of the Registrar's Office:
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Administrative and data entry support to the Academic Services Administrator and to the Director of Student Records within the Office of the Registrar- Homewood Campus.
- This position acts as a primary point of customer service for department administrators, university staff, and third parties via phone & e-mail.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to student record maintenance, transcript and verification processing, commencement and conferral related tasks.
- Provides additional support for registration and scheduling services as needed. Assists with other university-wide duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Responsible for maintenance of academic records, both paper and electronic.
- Provides administrative support for student status changes, and other student data updates.
- Provides additional assistance with processing official transcripts and degree and enrollment verifications, in association with the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Responsibilities for graduation include maintenance of the database of degree candidates for conferral, data entry for graduation applications and commencement related tasks, and management of diploma ordering, distribution and shipping.
- Assists with all university-wide commencement preparations and day-of activities.
- Assists as needed with processing of registration related transactions for full-time, part-time and interdivisional undergraduate, graduate and special student populations. Provides backup support for scheduling services as needed.
- Additional cross-functional and university-wide projects as assigned.
- Actively engages in supporting the mission and goals of the university. Responsible for accuracy and quality control of all work.
- These responsibilities require special knowledge of and compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and all federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations related to JHU.
- High School Diploma / GED required. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Three years of related administrative experience in collaborating, organizing and working in a fast-paced environment required, preferably in an institution of higher learning. Additional years of related experience preferred.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. Special Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge in the use of software applications, databases, spreadsheets and MS Word is required.
- Knowledge of the standards and best practices of record maintenance, including automated records systems.
- Ability to gather data for generating and preparing reports.
- Knowledge in SIS, USIS, and Alchemy is preferred.
- Knowledge of Salesforce is preferred.
- Knowledge of FERPA regulations and AACRAO best practices are required.
- Knowledge of higher education and University policies and procedures, Federal, State and local laws and regulations regarding the security of student academic records and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is needed to assist students with inquiries related to transcripts and to assist all other clients and staff regarding student records.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, telephone and supervisory skills.
- Knowledge of JHU academic programs and University resources such as Academic Advising, Student Accounts, General Counsel's Office, and Pre-professional Advising.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Must be able to lift boxes of records weighing 25 to 30 pounds.
- Involves real-time and online data entry responsibilities, knowledge of student information system (SIS) helpful.
Classified Title: Academic Services Specialist
Working Title: Student Services Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $17.59 - $24.80/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Office of the Registrar
Personnel area: Homewood Student Affairs
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Student-Services-Specialist-MD-21218/886056000/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency