Job no: 514160
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: A&F Information Technology
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Information Systems Engineer develops and maintains Ruby on Rails web applications for intranet and internet transactional websites for Administration and Finance (A&F) departments. Recommends new technologies, helps plan future directions for A&F, and leads internal projects.
- Designs, develops, deploys, documents, and supports enterprise class, mission critical web applications using Ruby on Rails, Single Sign-On Authentication, Web Services, version control software, SQL, Oracle, vendor APIs, and other related technologies.
- Provides consulting to A&F departments on the design and development of web and intranet sites. Designs and maintains web and intranet sites throughout A&F.
- Participates in the planning of short- and long-term goals and directions for A&F Web programming group.
- Re-programs and migrates applications from legacy PHP infrastructure to Ruby on Rails while maintaining mission critical access to the information.
- Leads paired programming and periodic code reviews. Follows University guidelines for security policies, standards, and PCI compliance. Attends training, as required. Other Responsibilities.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of web server administration (Apache and Internet Information Server) and experience with data security standards and best practices.
- Monday - Friday, 7.5 hours a day.
- Required to work some nights and weekends.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Level 27
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: May 17 2022 Eastern Daylight Time