DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | Anschutz Medical CampusMarcus Institute for Brain HealthOfficial Title: Business Services DirectorWorking Title: Director of Finance and AdministrationPosition #00731642 – Requisition #25972
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:Anschutz: https://www.ucdenver.edu/docs/librariesprovider284/default-document-library/3000-general-admission/3012---covid-19-vaccination-requirement-and-compliance.pdf?sfvrsn=4e9df3ba_2
Exemptions vary by campus location/department. Campus/Unit-Specific Exemptions: Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.Denver Campus - Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Will follow Anschutz policy on exemptions.The Marcus Institute for Brain Health has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Finance and Administration position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here. About the Department:
The Marcus Institute for Brain Health (MIBH) is an interdisciplinary clinical care and research institute for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and associated physical and psychological health conditions such as post-traumatic stress, depression, and anxiety. The MIBH is part of the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU AMC) which is the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region and is located in Aurora, Colorado. Aurora is Colorado’s second largest and most diverse city, home to a significant population of refugees. The MIBH provides specialized care for people with mild to moderate TBI, who have persistent post-traumatic symptoms, with a primary focus on the provision of subspecialty clinical services for military Veterans of pre- and post-911 era, regardless of discharge status. The MIBH provides comprehensive interdisciplinary intensive outpatient evaluation and treatment integrating novel medical, and complementary-alternative treatment modalities. Nature of Work:
This position will direct the business operations of the Marcus Institute for Brain Health. The DFA has authority over the business affairs, funds and resources of the Department and serves as Fund Administrator. The DFA represents the business and finance operations of the Institute within the Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC), CU Medicine and the University of Colorado, providing essential communication and networking for the effective functioning of these entities.This role will be responsible for providing oversight of the Institute as it relates to business/finance, which includes but is not limited to creating strong partnerships with CU Medicine; overseeing contracts; managing credentialing and compliance activities; and partnering with the Medical Director/Director of Clinical Operations to ensure clinical operation outcomes/strategic objectives are met. This role will also be responsible for providing financial oversight, such as budgeting and directing all Institute funds, including clinical revenue, gift, and sponsored research funding. This Director of Finance and Administration will provide oversight for human resource matters for the Institute, including position establishment/review, recruiting, and hiring, affirmative action, performance management and staff development, and termination processes.Supervision Received:
Reports directly to the Executive Director of the Marcus Institute for Brain Health. The position requires a large degree of independent action with minimal supervision in order to meet required deadlines. Supervision Exercised:
Supervision may include but not limited to: provides administrative direction within the Institute for activities and personnel directly and indirectly who facilitate the clinical and/or business administration that supports the clinical operations, including fiscal resources management, human resources management, and reporting. Assures appropriate personnel are in place to optimize clinical reimbursement, assist faculty with grants and contract facilitation and management.Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide financial oversight, controls, procedures and practices for the development, implementation and management of operational budgets, grants & contracts, endowments, philanthropic gifts, and clinical revenues consistent with internal and external compliance and in support of the broad strategic goals of MIBH.
- Interpret financial statements; resolve questions/programs and interpret new policies/procedures; assist with and monitor reconciliation of accounts/statements.
- Provide high-level insight of policies in the approval of expenses, travel reimbursements and other procurement needs as required.
- Manage the monthly and fiscal year-end close processes, produce monthly budget performance reports, and analyze financial performance to meet the annual and long-term goals of MIBH.
- Advise and inform Institute leadership of the present state of Institute funds and provide strategic insight into possible efficiencies and appropriate benchmarks.
- Participate in strategic planning in concert with the Institute’s goals that contribute toward market growth, revenue enhancement, cost containment and maximizing clinical practice and research productivity.
- Facilitate development of a long-range strategic and financial plans for the department to assure continued financial health for the advancement of the missions of education, research, and clinical care.
- Coordinates Institute purchasing activities including delegation of purchasing responsibilities and adherence to purchasing policy, acquisition of capital equipment items and major capital building/renovation, and negotiation of leases. Works with Procurement Service Center to provide solutions that are cost effective and competitive for all contracts and pricing negotiations.
- Partners with MIBH leadership to create awareness, marketing, and benefactor collateral, create and execute partnership agreements with an eye for increasing visibility and funding sources.
- Participate, as appropriate, in fundraising activities for the Institute. Partner with the Office of Advancement to complete proposals, tours, and stewardship requirements from benefactors.
- Interface with the University of Colorado legal counsel on sensitive issues. Work collaboratively to assure that the Institute adheres to Conflict-of-Interest policies and reviews contracts.
- Acts as a resource for the determination and application of the State Fiscal Policies, School of Medicine policies and procedures, State and CU rules and procedures, as well as being knowledgeable of State and Federal laws and standards applying to business management (personnel, accounting/audit, etc.)
- Administers or oversees human resource programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Collaborates with senior leadership to understand the organizations goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, and retention.
- Monitors and ensures the organizations compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
The Avalon Network:
- Provides guidance and development tools to Avalon Sites, including pro forma templates/review, data management administration, position descriptions/hiring practices, sustainability
- Provides supervision for Avalon Network Program Manager
- Assists with assessment of fit for Network sites
- Participates in strategic planning of Network buildout, funding, and sustainability modeling
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed; it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.Minimum Qualifications:
A bachelor’s degree with a preferred major in business/public/health administration, accounting, finance, or closely related field.At least seven (7) years of responsible financial, development, administrative experiences, preferably in an academic medical and/or research setting. Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.Preferred Qualifications:
A master’s degree with a preferred major in business/public/health administration, accounting, finance, or closely related field.Eight (8) years of experience working in a health care or academic medical setting.Experience working with Veteran outreach programs, which include managing the launch, implementation, and operations of such programs. Experience in developing and tracking the effectiveness of short and long-term strategic objectives.Experience working with CU Systems and technology (ex. PeopleSoft HCM & FIS, Concur, etc.)Experience managing forecasting of multi-fund budgeting, including grant and gift funding
At least five (5) years of successful raising funds through philanthropic or contract relationships. Knowledge, experience and ability to manage complex information and computer systems. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, benefactors and board members. Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.Competencies:
Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.Strong development skills including comfort with cold calling. Leading effective one-on-one partnership visits and utilizing multiple modes of communication to achieve results.Ability to handle sensitive information discretely and maintain confidentiality.Outstanding customer service skills.Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and within a diverse team structure.High level of attention to detail, organization, and project management skills.Ability to work independently and as a member of a team while handling a fast-paced environment.Ability to be adaptable, flexible and to think quickly and creatively.Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range)
for this position has been established at $104,022 to $132,316.The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons within the LGBTQ+ community, and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Job Category:
Business ServicesPrimary Location:
May 13, 2022Unposting Date: