System Administrator 4 (0520U) - EECS
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Instructional and Research Information Systems (IRIS) organization in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (EECS) is responsible for the design, planning, deployment, and maintenance of all IT architecture, infrastructure, security, applications, and operational computing and networking for research, instructional, and administrative services within EECS Department. It serves these same roles for the Engineering Research Support Organization (ERSO), and the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) as well as other affiliated departments and groups within the College of Engineering (CoE). IRIS is comprised of an Instructional Support Group (ISG), a Computer User Support Group (CUSG), and an Infrastructure Development Support Group (IDSG).
This role will be a technical lead in the Infrastructure Development Support Group (IDSG), primarily responsible for development, deployment, and operations of the Network Appliance Storage Infrastructure. The position will also help manage the on-premise VMware hosting service, used for infrastructure-related systems.
Critical for the success in this position is a strong work ethic, the ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously, superior communication skills, and high ethical standards.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 30, 2022 - Open Until Filled
50% NetApp fileserver operations and infrastructure
- Applies advanced systems / infrastructure concepts to define, design, upgrade and implement production fileservice to EECS, including user and project storage, and a Disaster Recovery site at the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC).
- Proposes and implements highly complex system or device enhancements such as software, hardware and network configuration, updates and installations for projects or services of broad scope. Selects methods and techniques to obtain solutions. Plans for lifecycle of NetApp storage hardware and vendor support contracts.
- Interacts with senior management. May perform complex network integration tasks and interoperability assessments for interconnected servers or components of clusters for communication.
20% VMware Virtualization.
- Design, implement, and support the EECS virtualization infrastructure.
- Ensure proper local and Disaster Recovery site backups.
- Coordinate with IDSG team members on virtual host needs.
- Specifies, writes and executes highly complex software and scripts to support systems management, log analysis and other system administration duties for multiple, highly integrated systems. Such scripts may include support for user and project storage operations, VMware backups, and efficient data copying to Disaster Recovery site.
5% Monitoring & Logging
- Work with complex systems logging and central logging infrastructure, to monitor systems for security and performance issues.
- Select appropriate remedies to implement or present to senior management.
- Maintains complex security systems. Interprets and adopts campus or Office of the President system and regulation-based security policies to control access to networked resources.
- Provides recommendations and requirements on network access controls.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and nontechnical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates problem-solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- An in-depth knowledge of developing and maintaining IT services in an enterprise or research environment, with a broad knowledge of how IT fits within the larger organization.
- 2-5 years as a technical project lead working with staff and third-party vendors to deliver integrated IT services for a college campus or similar environment.
- Strong technical leadership skills and the ability to both lead by example and mentor other team members to accomplish project goals.
- Experience with planning, developing, deploying, and maintaining enterprise storage services. Proficiency with NetApp hardware and software.
- Strong customer service standards and the ability to work independently in a demanding environment.
- Clear understanding of how to reduce and contain costs while maintaining quality customer service levels.
- Knowledge of data center management and operations.
- Experience deploying and troubleshooting NFS, CIFS, DNS, and Active Directory services.
- Proficiency with Linux (esp. RedHat), Windows, and MacOS.
- Proficiency with UNIX command line tools and bourne shell scripting.
- Experience with deploying or managing VMware virtualization environments.
- Advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing most complex server-based software.
- Familiarity with PHP and python.
- Familiarity with MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, or SQLite.
- Experience working in a research environment.
- Experience working with unusual or experimental filesystems, protocols, or storage or network devices.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a 100% FTE, career position.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=35937&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency