Requisition Number:39204Location: Boulder, Colorado Employment Type:University StaffSchedule:Full-TimePosting Close Date:26-May-2022Date Posted:11-May-2022 Close All
The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering encourages applications for a Research Laboratory Administrative Coordinator! This position supports the professional administrative and academic needs of two faculty members in the department. Responsibilities include sponsored research and grant administration, policy development, procurement, travel arrangement and expense reimbursements. In addition, this position will provide direct support to faculty members’ research lab groups and, to include ordering equipment and materials, communicating daily lab-life needs, performing lab member onboarding and exit interviews, and coordinating other research program activities. This position will act on behalf of both faculty members to represent, communicate, and complete priorities and mission in both domestic and international settings professionally, accurately, and articulately.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We Are
Chemical and biological engineering research seeks to address a variety of complex and important challenges, from renewable and sustainable energy, therapeutics and pharmaceutical development, to the creation and improvement of functional materials and more.
The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering is committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive learning, teaching and working environment for all students, faculty, staff and guests. The diversity of our community is central to our success as a world-class center of teaching, learning and research.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Grant, Sponsored Research and Publication Administration
- Assist with the preparation and submission of grant applications, annual reports, and manuscripts.
- Collaborate with department finance team to update funding assignments and correct discrepancies.
- Prepare and present financial reports to principal investigators and associated research staff.
- Assist with sponsored project close-outs in conjunction with Campus Controller’s Office financial analyst staff.
- Work cooperatively with Principal Investigator (PI) and departmental staff, as well as other campus departments and personnel (such as Sponsored Projects Accounting (SPA), Office of Grants and Contracts (OCG), and Procurement Service Center (PSC)).
- Provide proposal and award advisement including assisting with preparation of budgets and narratives for grant applications, resource and fund management.
- Manage personnel and expenses assigned to grants, collaborating with department finance team to update funding assignments and correct discrepancies, preparing and presenting reports, and assisting with grant close-outs.
- Develop and maintain online library of grant proposals, submissions, and associated documents (e.g., faculty CVs, bibliographies, current and pending support and conflict of interest documents). Communicate with faculty and industry collaborators, department and university administration, and other internal and external entities.
- Prepare, track, and monitor material transfer agreements and scientific protocols.
- Collaborate with department finance staff on all matters related to Sponsored Projects administration, including preparing and updating spreadsheets, assisting with inventory and disposal activities, records management, and obtaining and maintaining training and knowledge of department and university policies and procedures.
Professional Assistant and Lab Operations Administration
- Provide professional administrative support to two faculty members within the department of Chemical and Biological Engineering and their research laboratory groups. Support includes assisting in laboratory and operational planning and development; interpret, monitor, and analyze information regarding operating policies and procedures; and coordinate academic and/or staff personnel matters. Resolve issues that have a significant impact on the overall goals of the laboratories. Responsibilities include logistics and event planning, scheduling, and coordination for activities in support of research functions for the White and Hayward research laboratories and other research support tasks.
- Coordinate projects and assignments with the lab staff on behalf of the faculty members, including communicating tasks, expectations, and timeframes.
- Assist department human resources coordinator with research laboratory personnel appointments and visas processing, including gathering required documentation and submitting in a timely manner; and performing lab member onboarding and exit procedures.
- Manage faculty calendars, develop laboratory communications, schedule meetings, travel arrangements, events and seminars planning, and coordinate research laboratory group activities, interpreting and relaying directions, and managing calendar access.
- Maintain group websites and other internal shared resources.
Procurement and Travel Reimbursements
- Coordinate travel in accordance with university procedures using Concur and Marketplace to process transactions. This includes airfare, hotel, transportation, registration, etc. for conferences, events, seminars and training. Review conference agendas to assist faculty in determining appropriate dates of travel, developing itineraries, and arranging travel visas as required. Prepare and submit appropriate pre-travel approval forms.
- Research cost, policy, and logistical information to determine the best guidelines for travel to specific events. Explain reimbursement policies and process travel reimbursements, as needed.
- Handle travel reconciliation expense reports and reimbursements using the Concur Travel and Expense System. This includes collecting and uploading receipts, assigning expenses to appropriate speedtypes, creating reports for cardholders to approve, etc. Ensure that fiscal policies and procedures are followed. Address any instances where fiscal procedures were not followed appropriately.
- Purchase goods and services using procurement card, purchase orders, or payment vouchers, and track delivery of goods and services. Work with department finance staff to ensure costs of goods and services are reasonable, appropriate, allocable and within compliance.
- Monitor and reconcile procurement card expenses, assuring appropriate receipts and documentation are provided and manages the preparation of reports.
- Review outstanding expense reports and follow-up with cardholders to assure that the report is submitted on time, avoiding any penalties from the Procurement Services Center (PSC). Track expenses and reimbursements for assigned faculty members and coordinate with department finance staff when allocation updates need to be made.
- Assess the efficiency and accuracy of departmental reporting and tracking procedures and revise as necessary.
- Continuously seek professional development opportunities to improve self, skills and knowledge through on-the-job learning, and formal and informal training and conferences.
- Other special projects and duties, as assigned.
What You Should Know
All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
What We Can Offer
The salary range is $50,000 - $58,700. Relocation assistance is available within CEAS guidelines.
Benefits The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
. Be StatementsBe collaborative. Be professional. Be Boulder.What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated effectiveness in written and oral communications, collaboration, and problem solving.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of internal accounting control principles.
- High-level computer skill proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and databases.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to collect and present clear data and explain processes to faculty, staff, and students.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective and trusting working relationships with faculty, administrators, and staff.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with research and contract accounting and management.
- Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, and fiscal principles and practices in a higher education environment, including budgeting and fund accounting.
- Ability to work through ambiguous direction, a self-starter to problem-solve.
- Ability to manage time and adapt to support PIs and laboratories during peak times.
- Strong knowledge of accounting and budgeting in all funds (general, auxiliary, gift, grant, and plant) as well as an understanding of the CU Foundation accounting system.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political, and geographical differences, with ability to work well with faculty, staff, and students from around the world.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by May 26, 2022 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human ResourcesPosting Contact Email: [email protected]