Assistant Professor of Computational MathematicsPosting Number:
Assistant ProfessorClassification Code:
8003RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
27.01 - MathematicsFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100%Salary / Wage Range:
The expected salary upon hire is a minimum of $66,002.Anticipated Start Date:
09/16/2022Term of Appointment:
9 months per academic year, mid-September through mid-JuneLocation:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Sherry MowattResponsible HR User:
Britt PirkerResponsible HR User Email address:
[email protected] "inquiries only"Job Summary:
Eastern Washington University invites applications for a full-time, tenure track Assistant Professor Computational Mathematics with a start date of September 16, 2022.About Eastern Washington University:
Responsible for teaching university-level courses in Mathematical Reasoning, Finite Mathematics, Calculus I & II, Discrete Mathematics, Introductory Statistics, Linear Algebra, and more mathematics-related courses. Mentor and advise students on mathematics related academic research with emphasis on statistical analysis, computational mathematics, numerical analysis, and acoustics. Maintain a rigorous program of scholarly activity appropriate to the field of computational mathematics and in keeping with the College’s and Departmental Unit Evaluation Plans. Participate in departmental, college, and professional service activities. Strengthen the department’s collaborations internally and externally and contribute to the college’s efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Demonstrate commitment to diversity and a commitment to the diversity of a multi-cultural population. Position may include additional duties that utilize the required skills.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.Diversity Statement:
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
Tribal Land Acknowledgement
Eastern Washington University resides within the traditional homelands of the Spokane People and other tribes who are connected through their shared history of this region. This land holds their cultural DNA and it is their Ancestors who are here and bring forth the knowledge of this place—the knowledge that comes from the land.
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment and showing proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. pursuant to U.S. immigration laws.Physical Demands :
All new employees must comply with EWU immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
Essential Functions Analysis forms (“EFA”) describe the physical and mental demands associated with our positions. If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Britt Pirker at [email protected]Pre-Placement Physical :
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
- Requires a Ph.D. or foreign equivalent in Computational Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics and Scientific Computation, or a closely related field, and two years of experience as a Post-Doctoral Fellow, Graduate Teaching Assistant, Graduate Research Assistant, Research Intern, or equivalent experience. Experience must include:
- Prepare and teach college-level coursework for Mathematics, including Elements of Numbers and Operations, Precalculus, Calculus for Life Sciences, and more;
- Design and grade quizzes, assignments, and course exams for the Mathematics Department;
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at conferences in Mathematics, specifically in areas related to imaging analysis, acoustics, and computational mathematics; and
- One year of fulltime post-doctoral experience in applied mathematics.
- Will accept paid or unpaid internship, research or co-op experience gained during academic studies.
Work Schedule Type:
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill positions responsibilitiesPosting Date:
04/15/2022Open Until Further Notice:
06/21/2022Screening to Begin:
Screening to being immediatelySpecial Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this opportunity, submit your application materials through our online faculty application portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu.
Required application materials include all of the following items listed below.
- Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume – include a list of three references (names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses) who will be sending a letter of reference on your behalf on the last page of your CV
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Statement of research interests
- University-level transcripts (unofficial copies) – scan these together, and attach as one document
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.