Assistant Teaching Professor, for a 1-year appointment in Theatre Scenic Design and Scenography Location:
Theatre Department Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
This is a non-tenure track, full-time, benefit eligible, academic year appointed position on the Flagstaff Mountain campus beginning Fall 2022. The appointment is for one year.
Northern Arizona University, Department of Theatre is seeking an Assistant Teaching Professor, for a 1-year appointment in Theatre Scenic Design and Scenography beginning August 2022. Successful candidates will be able to teach Drafting and Model Building, CAD for Scenic and Lighting, Beginning through Advanced Production practicum, Scenic Design, and other design courses as needed.
Duties include: teaching the equivalent of 3 classes a semester in scenic design, hand drafting/model making, CAD/Vector works, production lab, and related courses as determined by the chair; provide scenic and props design or mentor student designers for main stage productions; commitment to working alongside students and technical director in the laboratory of our production season in both the scene shop and theatre. Secondary areas of design could include lighting, sound, projection, stage management, or other. Additional duties may include student mentoring, student recruitment, departmental service duties, etc. as assigned by the chair. Candidate should demonstrate skill in supporting and enhancing a culturally rich and diverse environment, with a clear vision and sensitivity that takes into account NAU’s rich commitment to diversity.
- MFA in Theatre Design conferred by start date
- Experience teaching theatre courses at the college/university level
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in curriculum, recruitment, production on a college campus and in their profession through DEIJ training
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to recruit students to the program, with special attention to reaching diverse students.
- 2 years' college/university teaching experience
- Demonstrated commitment to a general studies based theatrical education and first-generation student experience and success.
- Demonstrated interest in representing diverse voices of the global majority in all aspects (classroom and production) of the curriculum
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a collaborative environment with faculty and students.
- Demonstrated commitment to student mentorship in the classroom and to the undergraduate student experience.
- Ability to teach the following:
- Drafting and Model Building
- CAD for Scenic and Lighting
- Beginning through Advanced Production practicum
- Scenic Design
- Specialty courses in related topics
- Ability to design and execute scenery and properties for up to four productions yearly, or mentor student designers in these areas.
- Ability and readiness to design and/or teach in a secondary design area, especially lighting, media, and/or sound design or stage management.
- Experience with both mechanical (hand) drafting as well as CAD. Vectorworks preferred.
- Experience with and readiness to work, alongside professional TD and students, in the scene shop on the construction, painting, and dressing of all sets and properties.
Northern Arizona University has a student population of 29,569, including approximately 21,000 on its main campus in Flagstaff and the remainder at more than 20 locations statewide and online.
Committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment, NAU has earned a solid reputation as a university with all the features of a large institution but with a personal touch, with a faculty and staff dedicated to each student’s success. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
While our emphasis is undergraduate education, we offer a wide range of graduate programs and research. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
Flagstaff has a population of about 70,000, rich in cultural diversity. Located at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff is 140 miles north of Phoenix at intersection of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40.
For information about diversity, access and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
$52,000 for contract period.
This is a Faculty (FAC) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); sick leave accruals and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page. Faculty are hired on a contract basis, renewable according to terms of the Conditions of Faculty Service. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment. If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of employment. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days of employment. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU HR benefits page.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on May 30, 2022.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' link, locate vacancy 606294, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Complete the online application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- CV or resume
- Please include a link to samples of production and design work, or an actual sample portfolio to: Assistant Teaching Professor, Scenic Design/Scenography Search Committee, Department of Theatre, Northern Arizona University, P.O. Box 6040, Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6040, [email protected]
- Contact information for 3 professional references.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ) statement. Please address how your past and/or potential contributions to DEIJ. Please highlight your understanding of the role of social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion in a university setting. The Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice statement should be no more than 750 words.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.