Job no: 495757
Work type: Full Time
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Systems and Security
Requested Start Date:
July 1, 2022
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday-Friday, some evenings and weekends required
The Senior System Administrator is the lead in systems administration, installation, configuration and maintenance of hardware and software in a diverse multi-platform server environment. Understands complex relationships between components of the overall systems architecture. Has vast knowledge of operating system internals, file system structures and machine architectures, working experience with UNIX system administrator tools, UNIX shell scripts and scripting languages. Exercises considerable independent judgment in carrying out the work and is responsible for achieving objectives.
- Investigates and analyzes the feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications.
- Assists with integrating new and existing systems.
- Monitors data integrity and system security using OSSEC host intrusion detection and prevention system.
- Provides daily oversight of disaster recovery plans and their effective execution.
- Schedules system changes and/or upgrades.
- Develops standard procedures and schedules for the maintenance of the operating systems.
- Monitors and performs capacity planning on the servers and related DASD environments.
- Analyzes data and forecasts the University’s current and future needs.
- Creates, writes, and modifies routine computer programs, tests and modifies existing or new utility programs and routines.
- Monitors and reviews application programs for efficient use of computer resources.
- Installs applications, develops system administration scripts, plans version release upgrades and patches.
- Ensures adherence to server administration processes and policies.
- Provides security administration and supports the development of processes and policies surrounding server administration.
- Installs and configures UNIX, Linux, and Windows operating systems.
- Develops, writes, tests, and modifies computer and utility programs and routines.
- Interfaces with computer manufactures to remain current on their products and services.
- Analyzes test results to detect or explain programming errors or causes of program malfunctions in system software.
- Monitors computer system performance and provides regularly scheduled maintenance on all application server platforms (patches/upgrades).
- Documents progress of projects/tasks using a ticketing system.
- Maintains both the systems software at current release levels, and enterprise-wide directory services.
- Remains current on technology trends and best practices.
- Identifies opportunities for and contributes to the improvement of quality, safety and cost, as well as customer and employee satisfaction.
- Maintains the Cisco UCS blade-server chassis, Open-Vas security vulnerability, Sun LDAP, Luminis and Linux servers including DNS, Squid Proxy, DHCP, and syslog servers, and associated hardware.
- Monitors Cisco ASA firewalls, Cisco SourceFire IDS/IPS, VMware ESXi Cluster including ISCSI and fiber channel networks, Pharos Uniprint print cost recovery servers, Managemyid support, and storage on IBM V5000 SAN, IBM DS5100, EMC AX5-i storage area networks (SAN).
- Sets-up and monitors Windows, MS-SQL, and email servers and associated applications.
- Uses Nagios and SolarWinds to monitor server services.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Graphic Design, or related field,
- five (5) years of system administration experience, and
- experience with servers in a virtual environment
- Cover Letter
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: May 12 2022 Central Daylight Time