Working Position Title:
Assistant DirectorClassification Title:
Program Adviser - CUSTOM CLASSIFICATIONPosition Number:
Student Support ServicePrimary Function:
The Northern Illinois University (NIU) Student Support Services Program is a federally funded grant program designed to support 140 NIU students who are from low-income families or are first generation college students. One of the goals of the program is to facilitate the retention of student participants, as well as admission into, and graduation from limited admissions, limited access and other targeted majors. The program provides these students with comprehensive academic, career, and financial literacy counseling services as well as cultural enrichment activities designed to enhance their persistence and graduation from NIU and help them to transition to graduate school or full-time employment. The Assistant Director under the supervision of the Executive Director is responsible for the day to day operations of the TRIO Student Support Services Program.Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
Duties include but are not limited to:
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
- small group retention coaching
- developing and operationalizing student academic success plan(s)
- documenting outcomes and conducting assessments assessment of the program, including collection of appropriate student participation and achievement data; and generating reports monthly, each semester and annually
- supervision of SI Leaders and tutors
- work in collaboration with the Executive Director to develop new and improve existing services based on program assessment;
- Coordinate with selected academic units and other departments to enhance student services to SSS students; and
- assisting the Director with Annual Performance Report (APR)
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Master’s degree in education, student personnel services, counseling or related field adherent to the position
- Three (3) years full-time professional work experience with high school or college students. which includes one (1) year as a program coordinator or administrator of a similar program.
- Demonstrated experience and sensitivity in working with students from underserved populations.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
- Professional work experience within TRIO or similar programs; work experience that relates directly to the providing services to culturally and academically diverse college students.
- Background similar to student population to be served including from low-income family or first in immediate family to attend college.
- Bilingual – English/Spanish.
Effective verbal and written communication skills including applied computer skillsWorking Hours:
This position requires 100% on-campus, this is NOT a remote role. Working hours: M- F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, with 1-2 evenings per week during the academic yearMinimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$4,000-$4,167 monthly ($48,000 - $50,000 annualized)Hiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
Link to Department Homepage:
- This position requires 100% on-campus, this is NOT a remote role.
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- As part of your application materials, please include a 1-page professional writing sample of your choice.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected]. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Once this position has been filled, all names will be removed from the employment register in accordance with State Universities Civil Service System rule 250.60(h)(10).
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Program Adviser for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.Is Background Check Required:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) at [email protected].Safety Information:
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety. Read the Annual Safety and Security Report. Contact the Ethics and Compliance Office at 815-753-1649 for a hard copy.Read the Fire Safety Report. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at 815-753-0404 for a hard copy.Quick Link: