Health Sciences and Science Librarian - Department of Libraries - Division of Academic Affairs (32463)Classification:
Assistant ProfessorPosition Number:
2000FACULType of Position:
LibrariesPosition Description Summary:
The Health Sciences and Science Librarian is primarily responsible for four schools within the College of Health and Human Sciences: Allied Health & Communicative Disorders, Health Studies, Interdisciplinary Health Professions, and Nursing. This position serves as the library liaison to these four schools as well as other academic units within the Sciences as needed; provides research assistance and reference service to library users; participates in the Libraries’ collection development and collection maintenance programs; and participates in the Libraries’ bibliographic instruction program.Required Qualifications:
Reports directly to the Head of the Reference & Research Department.
Has responsibility for reference, instruction, and collection development. Contributes to the development and implementation of departmental and library policies and procedures. Trains and supervises student staff as necessary. Leads or participates in special projects as needed. Initiates and maintains effective communication with colleagues, members of the university community, and the general public. Maintains departmental and individual statistics and records and provides written reports as requested.Fulfills requirements of faculty status through continuous contributions to librarianship, scholarly activities, and service.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program
- An additional graduate degree (Master’s or higher)
- Demonstrated ability to consult with and advise researchers about core health science and nursing resources (CINAHL, MEDLINE, etc.).
- Familiarity with evidence-based practice (EBP) and health sciences research methodologies.
- Strong commitment to Public Services and outstanding customer service.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to meet university standards for research, publication, and professional service.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree, or other background, in a health or life science.
- Experience conducting or supporting health sciences or nursing research.
- Teaching experience, which may include designing online resources, consulting with individual researchers or project teams, and planning in-person or virtual workshops or class sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out a liaison program through outreach, building relationships, and providing library services and support to diverse stakeholders.
- Experience conducting systematic reviews, meta-analyses, or related research projects.
- Current or expressed desire to pursue Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) certification.
- Evidence of professional and/or scholarly activity.
Commensurate with experiencePosting Date:
05/04/2022Priority Review Date:
For full consideration, applicants should submit application materials by June 1, 2022. Applications received after this date are welcome but will be considered as needed.Appointment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check upon hire.
Link to Department Homepage:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- List of References
Lift up to 25 pounds with assistanceBackground Check Required:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX CoordinatorVisa Policy:
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) at [email protected].Safety Information:
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety. Quick Link:
Read the Annual Safety and Security Report. Contact the Ethics and Compliance Office at 815-753-1649 for a hard copy.
Read the Fire Safety Report. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at 815-753-0404 for a hard copy.