TemporaryEssential Job Duties:
JOIN THE PACK!
NC State Dining offers meaningful opportunities for employment across our retail and hospitality units. We offer competitive pay and opportunities for learning, growth, and promotion. Dedicated and experienced professional staff are available to provide on-the-job training and support to help you meet your full culinary potential. Successful candidates will work with the chef and co-workers in a high volume dining hall, food court or restaurant setting.
We are seeking individuals to Join our Pack as a Lead Cook.
Essential job duties include:
- Provide professional leadership and supervision to Line Station Cooks and Student Cooks.
- Prepare food as per the standardized recipes and specifications.
- Perform small batch cooking and made to order items, display station set-up and service, transport cooked foods to hot boxes for line service.
- Provide support to the front of house operations with back-up food to ensure that there is no lag time between changing out food items.
- Portion food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Perform specialty tasks such as display station set up and service, enhanced garnishing, recipe development and event meal assistance.
- Perform necessary cleaning of utensils, work space, tables, shelves, and equipment in accordance with maintaining a Grade “A” Sanitation rating.
- Participate in recipe development, and event meal assistance.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure NC State Dining business needs are met. Position may be asked to assist in other locations as necessary.
This is an hourly position, that includes a State required 32-day break at the end of 11 months. Superior work performance may provide an opportunity to renew employment and/or advance into a benefits eligible permanent position.
NC State Dining provides campus wide food services to students, staff, and faculty on the North Carolina State University Campus. NC State Dining operates 10 cafes, 3 food courts and 4 dining halls, 4 convenience stores, vending, a nutritional counseling service, and a catering department. The department employs approximately 1000 temporary and student employees and approximately 150 permanent EHRA and SHRA employees.
Campus Enterprises is NC State University’s division of retail and hospitality organizations — NC State Dining, NC State Stores, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, NC State Student Centers (Witherspoon and Talley), and the One Card Office. Each department is dedicated to providing service excellence, value and enrichment of the student experience in support of academic success.Is Time Limited:
NoJob City & State:
NC State DiningClassification Title:
Temporary-Skilled TradesWorking Title:
Lead CookWork Schedule:
Shifts are available from early morning to late nights including weekends. Please list your availability in the appropriate section of the application. Full- and part-time positions are available.Other Work/Responsibilities:
• Be an ambassador for NC State Dining and the university as a whole and enrich the quality of life for the campus community and support student success.Minimum Experience/Education:
• Work as a cohesive team member and play an integral part in creating a positive work environment.
• High School Diploma or equivalency;Department Required Skills:
• Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work will also be considered.
• Previous professional cooking experience.
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Contribute to maintaining a Grade A sanitation rating of 95% or better.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with customers, supervisors, and peers.
- Ability to follow written and/or verbal instructions.
- Provide outstanding customer service, including the ability to remain professional and respectful under pressure when dealing with difficult situations.
- Excellence in completing all tasks.
- Ability to adapt to the changing customer volume level with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Knowledge of equipment, cooking methods, measurements and food safety.
- Ability to follow safety procedures. Will routinely handle sharp items such as knives and slicer blades as well as be around hot food items, food pans, ovens, fryers, steam tables, grills.
- This position requires standing for long periods of time, walking, bending, twisting, pulling and pushing. Because of the nature of a food service operation and working in a kitchen, you must be able to work in extremely hot and cold conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lb with or without reasonable accommodation.
Required License or Certification:
- Culinary Arts Education (certificate, diploma or degree).
- Two years of progressive food service experience; work experience in a casual dining setting preferred.
- Highly proficient at recipe preparation, short order and high volume.
- Advanced knife skills.
- Diverse culinary knowledge, such as working knowledge of meat fabrication, a variety of cuisines, measurements and advanced knowledge of cooking methods and food safety.
- Serv Safe certificate a plus.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required?:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoAnticipated Hiring Range:
$16.50 per hourJob Open Date:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148. Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit. NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.