Adjunct Faculty, Public HealthSouth University Montgomery, AL, 5355 VAUGHN ROAD, Montgomery, Alabama, United States of AmericaReq #1529 Thursday, June 2, 2022 What's next for you is the first priority for us! With over 45 programs from associate to doctoral degrees, South University is a private institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities that spark the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population. Our 120-year story—past, present and future—is a history formed by the many individuals who have developed the education and spirit of community that have become our pledge to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters of South University. Online and at our 8 locations and 2 learning sites, we take pride in our welcoming environment; one-on-one support and personalized attention that helps students define goals and identify the means to pursue them. Our small classes feature hands-on experiences that not only shape students’ skills and excellence in their chosen fields but also shape their characters through encouraging community involvement, volunteerism and the pursuit of life-long learning. Visit www.southuniversity.edu
today to learn more about what makes us stand apart as a place to Belong, Believe and Become
, a place where you can make a difference in the lives of students eager to learn and grow.
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
POSITION SUMMARY: Instruct and facilitate meaningful learning of the course outcomes in the curriculum and proactively support all facets of the learning environment. Provide education through learning-centered instruction that will enable graduates to fulfill the evolving needs of the marketplace. Encourage a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility and respect, life-long learning, diversity, and ethics as well as personal and professional development. Assure that the South University philosophy: quality service to students; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; and an environment conducive to innovation, positive thinking, and expansion is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position. Participate in activities that promote the stature of the academic programs, departments, and colleges and abide by the South University Board of Trustees and administration's mandates.KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Manage the educational process to ensure every student is involved in a positive educational experience through the learning, teaching, and social environment.
- Perform faculty responsibilities as outlined in the faculty job description in accordance with the provisions of Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee Handbook.
- Provide course instruction that aligns with the South University model of curricula and supports the South University style of system delivery.
- Design and deliver instruction through the development of instructional plans to meet course outcomes, the development of activities that support lesson objectives, and for online courses, deliver the instruction as approved within each course shell.
- Effectively utilize technology in the classroom to support the student learning experience.
- Enable the achievement of pre-defined outcomes for student achievement and evaluation of learning by providing instruction that fosters proficiency and establishes student performance criteria and evaluation.
- Deliver learning-centered instruction by establishing an educational environment conducive to learning and student involvement and effectively planning and preparing for classes and student success.
- Promote student success by showing flexibility in style and work schedule and exhibiting a passion for teaching and students, and engaging students in the learning process.
- Manage the educational environment through keeping accurate records, submitting grades and other reports on time, and enforcing academic and attendance policies consistent with the school, campus, or online division.
- Relate professional/life/industry experience to learning by continuing professional/technical skills development, the introduction of industry perspective into courses, and the active awareness of professional/industry trends and opportunities.
- Participate in the faculty development process to enhance knowledge, skills, and abilities in learner-centered instruction.
- Communicate consistently and effectively with supervisor(s), faculty, and other South University administrators.
- Contribute to a learning culture by participating in curriculum and system task forces, support local campus events such as orientation and graduation, and participate in various other workshops and meetings.
- Faculty teaching general education courses at the undergraduate level: doctor's or master's degree in the teaching discipline or master's degree with a concentration in the teaching discipline (a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline).
- Faculty teaching associate degree courses designed for transfer to a baccalaureate degree: doctor's or master's degree in the teaching discipline or master's degree with a concentration in the teaching discipline (a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline).
- Faculty teaching associate degree courses not designed for transfer to the baccalaureate degree: bachelor's degree in the teaching discipline, or associate's degree and demonstrated competencies in the teaching discipline.
- Faculty teaching baccalaureate courses: doctor's or master's degree in the teaching discipline or master's degree with a concentration in the teaching discipline (minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline).
- Faculty teaching graduate and post-baccalaureate course work: earned doctorate/terminal degree in the teaching discipline or a related discipline.
- Graduate teaching assistants: master's in the teaching discipline or 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline, direct supervision by a faculty member experienced in the teaching discipline, regular in-service training, and planned and periodic evaluations.
- Experience in instruction or formalized education process, preferably in a post-secondary or college institution.
- Membership in a professional association tied to the area of instruction preferred.
- Active, valid, and unencumbered state licensure or certification as applicable to the discipline.
- At least six months of teaching experience at South University or another post-secondary education institution preferred, with online experience a plus (for online only).
- Academic Processes - knowledge of university guidelines, course descriptions, and academic terminology
- Clerical - knowledge of office administrative procedures, including accurate record-keeping
- Computer - ability to perform basic computer processes, including word processing, web browsing, and utilization of Microsoft Office
- Technical Knowledge and Application - proficiency with the online learning environment, including the creation of digital media and utilization of learning management systems
- Mathematics – ability to perform basic mathematic calculations
- Critical Thinking - uses logic and reasoning to look at different types of information in order to make conclusions and work through problems
- Research - Locates key facts and information to learn more about different types of information
- Interpersonal Skills - communicates and interacts with people effectively while being aware of social perceptions
- Time Management - manages one's own time to accomplish assigned tasks
- Attention to Detail - thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task ensuring all aspects are reviewed
- Written Comprehension - ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing
- Written Expression - ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
- Oral Expression - ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- Selective Attention (Focus) - ability to concentrate on a task over time without being distracted
- Organizational - ability to organize large amounts of information and tasks
- Teaching - ability to convey course concepts and material in a manner that others can understand
- Engagement –ability to learn from students' participation, demonstrate fair and consistent behavior in all matters, and show compassion without being ineffectual.
- Ability to physically work in the United States while performing all responsibilities of the position for the University.
- Computing - ability to access a personal computer, Internet connection, and telephone connection (hardware, software, and Internet access specifications to be provided) to fulfill teaching and related administrative responsibilities.
- Office Hours - ability to hold required office hours and respond to student questions and administration within the required response time.
- Orientation participation -ability to complete the New Faculty Orientation and other assigned/required training (e.g., Code of Conduct) through South University.
(For Online Positions Only)Willingness to work in an accelerated learning format, working online with students five of seven days per online week.Willingness to attend meetings as required by the respective department.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess.
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student, and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
Other detailsJob FamilyAll PositionsPay TypeHourlyRequired EducationMaster’s Degree Apply Now
- South University Montgomery, AL, 5355 VAUGHN ROAD, Montgomery, Alabama, United States of America
Share this job: