DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
Strauss Health Sciences Library
Access Services Assistant (Academic Services Entry Professional)
Position #3477 – Requisition #25941* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:Anschutz: https://www.ucdenver.edu/docs/librariesprovider284/default-document-library/3000-general-admission/3012---covid-19-vaccination-requirement-and-compliance.pdf?sfvrsn=4e9df3ba_2
Exemptions vary by campus location/department.
- Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Strauss Health Sciences Library has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Strauss Health Sciences Library position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a world-class medical destination at the forefront of transformative science, medicine, education and patient care. The campus encompasses the University of Colorado health professional schools, more than 60 centers and institutes, and two nationally ranked independent hospitals - UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital and Children's Hospital Colorado - that treat more than two million adult and pediatric patients each year. Innovative, interconnected and highly collaborative, the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus delivers life-changing treatments, patient care and professional training and conducts world-renowned research fueled by over $650 million in research grants. For more information, visit www.cuanschutz.edu.
Jobs in this career family provide direct professional support for the teaching and/or educational service mission of the university. Functions include academic advising/counseling, student personnel administration, recruitment and admissions, registration, financial aid, faculty affairs, library services, curriculum administration, and others involving direct support of the educational mission of an academic unit.
Professionals at the entry level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. At the entry level, duties are limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals and are performed in a training and development capacity.Nature of Work:
The Strauss Health Sciences Library links people, reliable health sciences knowledge, and technology in support of effective learning, quality health care, vital research, and engaging community service. The library’s collections and resources including facilities are available to University of Colorado students, faculty, and staff, Colorado health care practitioners, and members of the general public expressing information needs. This Access Services Assistant is responsible for staffing the online reference services and customer service desk by answering questions in-person, online, and by phone. This position requires a strong understanding of library resources and services, library policies, and the ability to provide instruction in the use of library resources. This position must be able to work independently, interpret patron needs, and make decisions. This position must be able to recognize when a patron should be referred to librarians and other specialists in the organization. This role will also act as a system administrator for the Library’s study space reservation system (Springshare LibCal), this includes developing specifications in the system, configuring rooms and resources, and managing room requests. This role will develop, enforce and revise study space policies as needed. Part of this role will include promoting the Library’s study space services, as well as collecting and interpreting the study room data to determine usage, areas of improvement, and the effectiveness of promotion efforts. Supervision Exercised:
The position reports to the Circulation Manager Service Desk Coordinator.Examples of Work Performed:Information Research Support & Customer Service:
Circulation & Onsite Customer Support Services:
- Analyze and answer questions from library patrons in person and via the library’s virtual AskUs service portal that includes chat and e-mail for a minimum of 12 hours per week.
- Instruct customers on the use of the library’s discovery tools including the library catalog, website, article databases, research guides, and clinical research tools.
- Troubleshoot patron requests for help related to remote access of library resources including full text journal articles, ebooks, and databases.
- Assist customers with the use of technology equipment in the facility including scanners, pay-for-print printers, and connecting personal laptops to LCD panels. Assist with basic support for equipment/gadgets circulated by the library including laptops, wifi hotspots, etc.
- Provides instruction and training for student assistants that work in the library. Serves as a resource for student assistants.
Study Room Reservations Coordination:
- Interprets and applies the library conduct policy. Engages customers respectfully to maintain an atmosphere conducive to study and research in the library. Reports issues or concerns related to the conduct policy to department management.
- Processes and coordinates the provision of Colorado Libraries Collaborate borrowing cards and fee-for-service borrowing cards offered to the public.
- Opens and closes the service desk and library as part of a team.
- Provides after-hours pickup services to primary patrons and other hold request pickup service models.
- Performs interlibrary loan processing (ILLiad and Prospector) on a weekly basis.
- Provides maintenance and updates to circulating laptops.
- Preforms stack management, including inspections of the collections to ensure items are organized (collection inventory).
Other duties as assigned, committees, professional development:
- Leads management of the study room reservations system (currently Springshare LibCal).
- Interprets and applies the study room reservation policy. Updates policy as needed based on the evolving campus environment.
- Configures room reservation system settings according to evolving library policies.
- Promotes the room reservation system to library patrons.
- Collects and archives usage statistics. Creates reports as requested.
- Supports Access Services Specialists in the event of an absence or vacancy.
- Cross trains with Access Services Specialists on the inventory and distribution of circulating laptops and other gadgets, first line IT troubleshooting, receives/process borrowing and lending incoming requests through interlibrary loan.
- Supports department advertising by writing about services for the library’s blog and campus email announcements.
- Collects user feedback through polls and other survey/outreach methods; gathers student user service needs, including perceptions of and satisfaction with library service provisions. Analyzes feedback and makes recommendations to meet user needs.
- Participates on library committees, including search committees, interdepartmental task forces and working groups.
- Participates in the library’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives and learning opportunities. Actively supports the diversity values of the University to create a welcoming and respectful environment to all persons.
- Pursues job-related professional development and continuing education opportunities.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.Salary and Benefits:
The hiring rate for this position has been established at $ $41,396. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above hiring rate represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
A bachelor’s degree, or a combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis. Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.Preferred Qualifications:
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working at a customer service desk, covering phones, or virtual customer services online.
- Two or more years of experience working in an academic/public library.
- Experience working with circulation services in a library.
- Experience with answering questions about library research and helping people to search for information resources.
- Experience with library catalogs, databases and other information tools for discovery and research.
Diversity and Equity:
- Beginning to intermediate skills with Windows PC system and using Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook, Excel (to maintain statistics, data, and information), and Word (to develop, edit and update reports, handouts, and correspondence).
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of utilizing library search tools to search and retrieve information from electronic databases and computer systems.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects; meet multiple deadlines; work independently with minimal supervision.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons within the LGBTQ+ community, and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Job Category:
Academic ServicesPrimary Location:
May 9, 2022Unposting Date: