Environmental Health and Safety Specialist III (TNPRC - Covington, LA)Office of Environmental Health and Safety
Location: New Orleans, LA
Responsible for the coordination of laboratory health and safety compliance programs and activities on Tulane’s Primate Center campus. Helps to develop and update EHS laboratory safety programs, policies, and procedures. Assists with controlled substances inspection program, chemical fume hood inspection program, laboratory and art safety inspections, chemical purchasing, and guidance on all laboratory safety issues. Performs duties relative to animal care/research safety. Serves as a liaison for regulatory agencies, insurance companies, outside agency inspectors, etc. Participates in On-Call and Emergency Response program. Assists other OEHS personnel as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with 3-5 years’ professional work experience in environmental health and safety or chemical/laboratory safety; OR High School Diploma/Equivalent with 7-10 years’ experience in environmental health and safety or chemical/laboratory safety.
- Must have a valid and unrestricted (not including corrective lens needs) U.S. Driver’s license and must meet the Tulane University Motor Vehicle Policy criteria to become authorized as a driver.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in chemistry, environmental health science, environmental management, or other science or engineering related field.
- Experience with laboratory processes and safety in a biomedical research laboratory setting.
- At least 1 year of experience reviewing and assessing risk of laboratory research protocols including the review of procedures using biological agents, extremely hazardous chemicals, and controlled substances.
- General knowledge of chemical and biological safety requirements.
- Ten (+) years’ work experience in handling hazardous chemicals or laboratory safety or ten years’ work experience in environmental health and safety.
- Two years’ directly related work experience in a University setting.