Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Nursing (UMSON)
is currently recruiting for a Standardized Patient Training Specialist (Training Specialist)
. The Standardized Patient Training Specialist supports the various training protocols and projects for nursing, medical, pharmacy, social work students and other external clients that use the University of Maryland Baltimore Schools of Medicine and Nursing Standardized Patient Program (SPP) for meeting course objectives, and training requirements for experiential learning and testing. The SPP is located in the School of Nursing. This position is responsible for preparing the standardized patients/participants (SP) for the simulation projects identified to meet objectives and expectations, of design scenarios, programming, and case planning. The Standardized Patient Training Specialist is expected to exercise discretion that involves the comparison and evaluation of possible courses of conduct, and makes decisions after various possibilities have been considered. The Standardized Patient Training Specialist reports to the Director of the SPP program and works collaboratively on the SPP team. UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources
- Provides standardized participants (SP) with the learning objectives of each simulation project, reviews areas of emphasis and the faculty identified learning, competencies desired and/or skill outcomes.
- Provides structure and guidance to students, nurses, residents, physicians, and faculty during simulation scenarios. Delivers education on any introductory information for each scenario that may help participants perform better in the simulations. Presents each scenario prior to beginning a scenario and clarifies information to the participants.
- Provides SPs with feedback on performance and opportunities for improvement. Monitors and evaluates effectiveness of training through evaluation measures and data analysis.
- Develops training material for SP case portrayal, including checklist guides, conduct training sessions for SPs, and evaluates SP performance in all assigned activities, Implements training protocols and conducts SP and participant orientations as needed.
- Maintains and uses confidential test materials and appropriately uses SPs in educational programming, to include preparing periodic project progress reports, and maintaining and updating records/program files as necessary.
- Consults with participating faculty to guide them on using appropriate Standardized Patient simulation methodology to effectively meet course learning objectives.
- Advises program director of concerns and/or important quality issues facing the SP Program, including recommending solutions to improve the operations of the program, and intervening to maintain the integrity of the program, when necessary.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
: Bachelor's degree in human resources, organizational development, business, communications or related field to program such as health, education, or humanities.Experience
: Two (2) years of related training experience such as experience in medical education and/or working with standardized participants. Preferred Experience
: Experience in the training and supervision of standardized patients and/or participation in the development of standardized patient education programs.Other
: Related experience may be substituted for education.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledgeable of best practices, standards and requirements in field of training using standardized participants and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws. Working knowledge of medical interviewing, theatrical training, or organizational management. Possess background knowledge and understanding of the use of SPs in healthcare education.
- Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and remain current with trends and influences in the field of educating, training and testing concerning standardized patients.
- Assume personal responsibility for all outcomes; make effective and timely decisions; and learn how to effectively use technology, measurement and debriefing. Maintain productivity and use effective strategies to increase knowledge base. Capacity to exercise initiative, resourcefulness, and sound judgment with an ability to solve problems and make informed decisions. Demonstrate strong critical thinking skills that aid in assessing the strengths and weaknesses of approaches to problems and the viability of various solutions, and in helping trainees develop these skills themselves to get the most out of their experience. Skill in analyzing complex topics, policies, and procedures in order to prepare detailed summaries.
- Ability to communicate effectively with verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to write and present information in a clear and concise way. Skill in interpreting and understanding written information and demonstrate an ability to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Demonstrated ability to collaborate & work within a team. Capable of interacting positively and effectively with others to meet customer expectations, and provide follow through requirements for customers.
- Proficiency with a personal computer to use a variety of business software applications, and a familiarity with audio-visual equipment is necessary.
: Low to high $60,000s; commensurate with education and experience. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Nursing - Strategic Partnerships & InitiativesJob Posting:
May 5, 2022Unposting Date:
May 26, 2022, 10:59:00 PM