Job DescriptionUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking a Multi Trades Chief II to join Department of Facilities.
Under general supervision, the selected candidate functions as a leader of a team involved in multi trades work. Performs as a working member of the team with expertise in more than one trade, provides guidance and instruction or supervision to others, and has responsibility for project completion. Work at this level is typically associated with leading journey level work in a combination of structural trades and lower graded mechanical trades. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021). BENEFITS:
This NON-EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that starts with 11 vacation days, 15 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. PRIMARY DUTIES
1. Organizes, assigns, and coordinates the technical maintenance work and installation services rendered by skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled workers assigned to a multi trade work team.
2. Performs journey level work in the assigned trade; troubleshoots problems and performs maintenance and repairs.
3. Supervises and trains assigned personnel; assigns specific tasks and evaluates results.
4. Participates in performance evaluations and recommends areas for individual training and development.
5. Inspects completed job assignments for adherence to trade standards.
6. Prepares estimates of time, labor and materials; prepares bills of materials. Ensures that assigned projects adhere to time and cost estimates. Monitors work on site and notifies supervisor of problems, scheduling or deadline issues.
7. Prepares requisitions and obtains materials needed to complete assigned projects. Ensures cost effective use of materials allocated.
8. Prepares a variety of special and recurring reports reflecting daily operations and project status.
9. Operates standard equipment including power and hand tools.
10. Ensures operational readiness and safety of work areas, tools, and equipment; conducts routine inspections; performs routine repairs and maintenance on equipment and tools.
11. Assists higher level supervisors in administrative tasks such as scheduling, occupational safety, security, and other workplace standards. Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Five years progressively responsible experience in the trade(s) where assigned to include at least two years in a lead or supervisory capacity.OTHER:
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES:
Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the methods and techniques of the trade(s) where assigned; of the OSHA regulations related to the trade(s) area. Thorough knowledge of and skill in the practical application of electronics, hydraulics, and mechanics as used in maintenance work; of basic mathematics including area, volume, weights and the practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions; of the care and storage of equipment and supplies used in the area where assigned. General knowledge of the principles of supervision in the maintenance trades. Skill in the use and maintenance of the tools and equipment of the trade(s) where assigned. Ability to read, interpret, and work from blueprints, schematics, drawings, and specifications; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to lead and train skilled and unskilled employees in assigned trade(s) work; to prepare summaries and reports; to work in, on, around, over and under fixed equipment and machinery; to work from ladders and scaffolding; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools, and supplies and/or exert force up to 70 lbs.; to concurrently manipulate multiple controls on machinery and equipment; to work in hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces, and adverse weather or temperature conditions; to wear and work in personal protective equipment. Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are
eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union). Salary Range:
Mid to High 50s UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Non-Exempt StaffShift:
Facilities MaintenanceJob Posting:
May 4, 2022Unposting Date:
May 18, 2022, 10:59:00 PM