Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM), MD-PhD Program
is currently recruting for a Program Administrative Specialist
. The Program Administrative Specialist position will assist the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP)/MD-PhD Program Office in the overall activities of the program related to MD-PhD recruitment, admissions, activities, courses, special events, evaluation and oversight. This includes a full range of para-professional duties related to the day-to-day operation of the MSTP Office. Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Primary Duties: MSTP Recruitment:
MSTP Admission Duties:
- Register for recruitment events.
- Set up virtual recruitment booths.
- Submit travel reimbursement for in person events.
- Assist with MSTP recruitment tools such as the MSTP website and other communication efforts (e.g. social media).
MSTP Course Duties:
- Assist in the application process for dual degree (MD-PhD) candidates including sending notifications to potential candidates before, during and after the interview process.
- Assist with all MSTP interview preparation, support and communication with internal and external clients for matters relating to scheduling, catering, delivery, hotel reservations and documentation.
- On the day of in-person interviews: answer phones, greet and guide MSTP applicants for the two-day MSTP interviews during the months of November, December, January and February (must be available for 8 hours each day).
- Develop slides for monthly MSTP Admissions and Advisory Committee meetings.
- Attend monthly MSTP Admissions and Advisory Committee meetings; take minutes; occur on the second Tuesday of every month from noon-2pm.
- Provide administrative support during the MSTP Second Visit days (scheduling, hotel, transportation, catering).
Special Event Duties:
- Reserve rooms.
- Arrange catering for MSTP monthly Physician Scientist Seminars, monthly Clinical Case Studies, biweekly Molecules to Medicine (M2M) courses, GPILS/Orientation lunches.
- Send out evaluations.
- Coordinate in conjunction with the MSTP Administrative Director the logistical details related to:
- Annual Stephen Max Lecture (e.g. invitations, mailings, catering, SOM Dean’s Office support,
- MSTP off-site Annual Retreat,
- Summer and Winter Research Symposium,
- F30 Workshop,
- UMBC Summer Bridge and MSTP Graduation Reception
- Coordinate and track the annual Individual Development Plan (IDP) for all students.
- Assist in the collection of data for MD-PhD alumni outreach regarding current positions, locations and emails.
- Program Oversight:
- Assist in the processing of student accounts for the fall and spring semesters (payment of tuition, fees, health insurance and stipend) for MD-PhD students.
- Collect data (e.g. publications) for the MSTP training grant and other related projects.
Bachelor's Degree. Experience:
Four (4) years experience in administrative staff work. Required Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
Working knowledge of reference and research methods and techniques used in collecting, compiling, and organizing data and information, working knowledge of analytical and statistical principles and techniques. Skill in the use of office automation software and its applications, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, to handle sensitive materials with discretion and tact, to present ideas and information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; to perform mathematical computations; to present statistical material in chart and graph form. Ability to independently handle multiple tasks and set priorities. OTHER:
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union). Salary Range: Mid to High 50's (Commensurate with education and/or experience)
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Non-Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Research & Graduate StudiesJob Posting:
May 12, 2022Unposting Date:
May 26, 2022, 10:59:00 PM