Job DescriptionUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking a contractual Cook for our Donaldson Brown Center in northern Maryland.
Under general supervision, the selected candidate functions as a cook preparing menu items according to standard recipes, ensuring quantity and quality standards are maintained. PRIMARY DUTIES
1. Oversees food preparation activities by determining work priorities, assigning work and ensuring safe and sanitary conditions are maintained.
2. Prepares, seasons, cooks, fries and bakes food according to standard recipes, determining necessary production amounts; revises and/or alters daily menu/recipes if necessary.
3. Prepares food items for serving; carves portions of meat, fish and/or fowl for individual servings.
4. Measures, weighs and combines ingredients for quantity preparation of meats, vegetables, salads and beverages in accordance with established recipes; modifies recipes and/or production amounts.
5. Operates a variety of manual and/or automated kitchen equipment such as ovens, grills, toasters, fryers, mixers etc.
6. Determines food quantities, prepares estimates of time, labor and materials to be used on assigned tasks.
7. Responsible for assuring optimal quality of food throughout preparation and service.
8. Protects equipment, utensils, food and other items of inventory from contamination, spoilage and pilferage.
9. Provides guidance and training to subordinate personnel. Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Three (3) years in commercial or institutional cooking.OTHER:
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of food preparation methods. Thorough knowledge of and skill in applying the procedures and standards of quality and quantity food selection, food preservation, meal service and portion control. General knowledge of principles and practices of sanitation and safety in cooking areas. Skill in proper food handling andpreparation; in garnishing pans of food for service; in the operation of food preparation equipment and dishwashers. Ability to read and write; to follow and adjust recipes; to provide guidance to food service personnel; to perform basic arithmetic computations; toprepare food using assigned utensils, appliances and equipment; to work in irritating environments and adverse temperature conditions; ability to lift, transport and stock food service supplies and materials. Salary Range:
$17 - $20 per hour UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
CI Exempt or Non-Exempt StaffShift:
Auxiliary ServicesJob Posting:
May 11, 2022Unposting Date:
May 25, 2022, 10:59:00 PM