OCCUPATIONAL SUMMARY: Plan and coordinate engineering services for Medical Center construction and renovation programs to include preparing and/or evaluating proposed planning and engineering designs, developing performance specifications and assisting in the supervision of activities related to the construction, renovation and repair to Medical Center facilities and equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage and coordinate engineering services for major infrastructure projects for Duke Health facilities to include Duke Hospital, Duke Clinics, SOM Research, and Community Ambulatory clinics; prepare and/or evaluate proposed engineering designs, developing performance specifications and assist in the supervision of infrastructure projects related to electrical, HVAC, plumbing or fire/safety systems.
- Maintain liaison with designers, consultants and contractors to review relevant plans and to assist in solving problems related to engineering designs; provide assistance to members of the Duke community in planning proposed projects.
- Prepare or review cost estimates and assist in identifying expenditures to establish project budgets; coordinate the bid process with competitive construction firms bidding on major projects; manage projects ranging in cost up to $10 million.
- Inspect and evaluate construction projects to ensure that materials and methods used are in compliance with established safety standards and specifications and to ensure the maintenance of sound engineering standards.
- Supervise the preparation of blueprints and mechanical drawings to insure proper distribution of assignments and adequate staffing.
- Prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations and/or conclusions.
- Recommend various personnel actions including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisal, promotions, transfers and time off scheduling.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
BS Degree in engineering, construction management, or related field
5 years of experience in project management, or an appropriate combination of relevant education and experience
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.