Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
BASIC FUNCTIONS:Assist the Business Manager with general financial matters associated with the daily operations of the Duke Lemur Center .
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support administrative activities of the Lemur Center and provide adequate reference of data, documentation, procedures, and processes.
- Maintain liaison with appropriate Central Management, University Departments, and outside vendors to be able to obtain as well as answer inquiries based on your knowledge of the Center activities.
- Assist the various Center departments (Fos ils, Research, Veterinary, Husbandry, Education, and Volunteer/StudentProjects) with support in Concur, Purchasing, and Accounts Payable by being teamed with other admin staff.
- When directed be able to follow up on where payments are in the Purchasing and Accounts Payable process when information is requested by DLC departments and/or directly by vendors.
- Compile and analyze informationin support of assigned Center activities, prepare reports monthly.
- Advise Business Manager on the status of current activities, additional or expanded program requirements and appropriate recommendations for solution to problems.
- Assist the Business Manager with determining budgetary rec ommendations and requirements, by monitor, verify and reconcile expenditure of budgeted program accounts including some grants.
- Support the submission, development, and spending of grants for the Center.
- Be available to assist and/or support various Center events, including fundraising, volunteer, and revenue generating.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described above.
Position specific responsibilities:
- Serve as Co-TRaC (Travel and Corporate Card) representative for the Center, monitoring; informing and assisting staff on any issues to ensure that they are compliant with the required transaction positing deadlines.
- Prepare expense reports and assist staff you are assigned as delegate for Concur.
- Process as requested APCheck Requests and Purchase Orders as needed for the general operations of the Center.
- Monitor, prepare and process the monthly receipts received on the Madagascar Bank Account in the necessary format for general ledger processing.
- Prepare the required Quarterly reconciliations to Treasury & Cash Management on the Madagascar Bank Accounts.
- Process wire transfers as needed to the Madagascar Bank Account.
- Participate in the grant process for any Conservation related grants, including monitoring the fund codes, reconciliations, and providing updates to PI's on funds status.
- Prepare and deliver weekly or as needed deposits for gift records with required backup documentation.
- Participate in various events held on Lemur Center grounds,not limited to development, education, and volunteer.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR and equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.