Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
EMT – Duke University Health System - Duke Life Flight
Duke University Health System seeks to hire a EMT who will embrace our mission of Transforming Lives Transforming Care.
Duke University Health System’s Life Flight team supports over 20 critical care procedures independently. The patient population is 22-23 week gestation neonates to geriatric (all ages). In this department you work with interdisciplinary teams including, Basic Life Support EMT’s, single provider ALS Paramedic, Clinical Nurses, Respiratory Therapist (Neo/Peds team) and Critical Care Paramedics.
As a EMT with Duke University Health System, you will make providing service your priority while caring for the whole person in a patient-centered atmosphere. The EMT Driver will perform a variety of activities associated with the Life Flight/ Life Care Critical Care Transport service to include operation of the Life Care Critical Care Transport ambulance and medical support systems, and assist with operations of associated satellite base and ongoing continuing education outreach program.
- Responsible for minor repairs to the unit to include: changing light bulbs, replenishing fluids, tightening nuts and bolts, inspecting tires, etc.
- Responsible for daily maintenance including fueling and cleaning of vehicle.
- Responsible for reporting minor and major repair needs to the site specific Clinical Operations Director.
- Responsible for assisting nursing staff with patient care as requested to include loading and unloading operation of commonly used equipment and providing family members with information about and directions to Duke.
- Responsible for replenishing medical air and oxygen and medical supplies used during transport.
- Knowledge of streets and highways within the response area of the mobile intensive care unit.
Work Hours & Shifts:
Full Time: 12 hour shifts - Day/Night Rotating
Location: Durham Base
Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience Required/Preferred:
- High school or equivalent required
- Two years experience operating an ambulance/fire truck equivalent to the Duke mobile intensive care unit preferred
- Two years EMT experience with an active EMS provider preferred
Licensure, Certification or Registration Required/Preferred:
- Current certification as North Carolina EMT required
- Current Class C-drivers license required
- Current NC EVD (emergency vehicle driver) certification preferred
- Current BLS (or higher) certification required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.