Network and Systems ServicesWorking Title:
Network Administrator (2 Positions Available)Classification:
Network Specialist 2 - 01512Nature of position:
Permanent, Full-timeDays Worked:
Monday to FridayHours/Shift worked:
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.Union:
AFSCMEJob Summary/Basic Function:
The Network Administrator will assist with monitoring and troubleshooting campus wired and wireless networks consisting of Cisco routers and switches, Cisco firewalls, ,Cisco ISE, Cisco DNA Center, and wireless controllers and access points. Assist with troubleshooting of Linux and Windows server and client resources including DHCP and DNS, account authentication and other network application services. Priorities can, and will, be adjusted from time to time under the direction and supervision of the Director of Network Services (NSS) in response to situations as they arise on a case-by-case basis.
Located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Millersville University is one of the 14 public universities of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. Our pillars of distinction include exceptionally strong student-faculty relationships, unique programs, a beautiful campus and vibrant location, and successful job placement for our students. Students’ success, both inside and outside of the classroom, is our highest priority, and we provide numerous opportunities to facilitate their academic, personal, and social growth and development. At the University level, 70 baccalaureate programs are available for 6,250 undergraduate students. We have over 950 graduate students enrolled in 21 master’s and three doctoral programs. Our faculty are highly respected in their fields and dedicated to the success of students in the classroom, in research labs, and in campus life. Additionally, over 66,000 Millersville University alumni live in all 50 states and in 72 countries around the world.
Annual Salary: $60,362.00 – 70,416.00, plus comprehensive benefits starting on the first day of employment, including:
- Health insurance – Low bi-weekly premium. Employees pay 5% of bi-weekly salary for benefit coverage with ability to pay 2.5% when participating in the wellness program.
- Dental insurance – Coverage is free to employee and dependents after 90 days
- Vision insurance – Coverage is free to employee and dependents after 90 days.
- Group life insurance – equal to annual salary (up to $40,000.00) at no cost to the employee
- Retirement – 2 plans to choose from
- Tuition waiver – employee, spouse, and dependents are eligible
- Vacation leave– up to 11 days accrued per year for first 3 years, increases to 19 days per year after 3 years
- Sick leave – up to 11 days accrued per year, including up to 5 days per year that can be taken to care for a family member
- Holiday leave – 12 days per calendar year
The State System Employee Benefits Summary can be found at https://www.passhe.edu/inside/HR/syshr/Benefit_Summaries/PEBTF_Summary.pdf
At Millersville University we are committed to fostering a learning and working environment that promotes the intersectionality of diversity to foster a climate of inclusion. Employing our EPPIIC values and the principles of Inclusive Excellence, we hold that an inclusive community is a core value that is an essential part of the foundation for our learning and working environment. Millersville University is an equal opportunity employer and, in compliance with federal and state laws and university policy, is committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Individuals from traditionally underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.Required Qualifications:
- Two years of information technology experience that includes one year of technical experience in network operation or network maintenance, AND an associate’s degree in any information technology field; OR Four years of information technology experience that includes one year of technical experience in network operation or network maintenance; OR an equivalent combination of experience and training that includes one year of technical experience in network operation or network maintenance.
- Knowledge of:
- current computer and network hardware capabilities and software programming techniques.
- the principles and techniques of wired and wireless network operations and maintenance.
- hardware and software performance measurement and evaluation techniques.
- Premise hardware and cabling (Kron, Patch Panels, Cable Management, Fiber)
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with:
- Cisco/Nexus IOS.
- o TCP/IP.
- o Linux/Windows OS.
- o IP addressing and naming schemes.
- o DHCP.
- o DNS.
- o Network security.
- o Wireless Infrastructure.
- Demonstrated understanding of:
- various network media and technologies.
- network switches and routers.
- routing protocols.
- multi-layer network troubleshooting.
- network management protocols and tools.
- network analyzers.
- Must be able to quickly and accurately troubleshoot and resolve malfunctions that could adversely affect campus, classroom, or studio demonstration or use. Position requires substantial networking expertise.
- Ability to work independently and in coordination with others
- Systematic, technically curious, & self-motivated
- Skill in programming using script languages, command language, bit-masking and bit-mapping techniques.
- Ability to analyze operations and develop logical systems designs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, vendors, and University technical personnel.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Flexible work schedule as dictated by the needs of the university.
- Ability to work remotely if required due to University procedures.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Successful interview.
- Successful completion of three background checks.
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT related field.
- 3+ years hands-on experience in enterprise network operations.
- Current CCNA certification or higher.
- Experience in:
- Wireless (Cisco ISE and DNA Center ).
- Firewall configuration and management.
- Cisco Wireless Controller.
- Cisco UC Telephony
- Server configuration and support.
- Support and maintain campus wired and wireless data networks including theOn-Prem VoIP telephone system within established guidelines as determined by Information Technology.
- Primary responsibility is support of wired and wireless network equipment, wiring, and installations in all buildings across campus including the continual development of understandable documentation.
- General responsibilities include survey and determination of related network needs, repair and maintenance of equipment, proper care of equipment, proper installation of equipment, facilities management, and safety management and monitoring for all who use campus facilities and equipment.
- Manage and update all work assignments through the IT work management system -SysAid.
- Maintain and service all campus network and telephone equipment.
- Test and evaluate equipment
- Establish preventive maintenance procedures
- Prepare equipment repair and/or replacement requests
- Create and maintain accurate, up-to-date documentation and usage procedures for all network, classroom and studio equipment.
- Provide technical assistance with the design and purchasing recommendations for future network and telephone as needed.
- Assist with performing network and computer systems design and programming work involving the structuring of the routers, firewalls, switches, load-balancers, and server operating systems and applicable system enhancements to accommodate most effectively the campus applications requirements.
- Assist in the development, modifcation and maintainenance of network and server operating system and application configurations in the appropriate command, script and configuration language.
- Perform router, firewall, switch, and wireless configuration work related to the design and maintenance of campus networks.
- Appraise, modify and implement new software products, new system releases and upgrades and enhancements.
- Prepare and install software and firmware program modifications, patches and updates to vendor provided hardware and software packages in order to maintain optimal system and network performance.
- Conduct hardware and software performance measures and develop recommendations for modification of selection of hardware and software component, which will improve operating efficiency.
- Design and conduct computer network measurement and performance tests for both hardware and software components.
- Evaluate data and formulate recommendations for hardware and software modifications or selection of new hardware components to improve performance.
Interface with campus application and operations staff to ensure network operating systems and security standards are followed.
- Monitor and implement backup and recovery programs for network component operating systems and network managed servers.
- Interface with vendor representatives to resolve unique network and server operating system problems and schedule test time to solve such problems in such a way as to minimize negative impact on campus operations.
- Participate in meeting with vendor representatives and university technical personnel to clarify systems capabilities, system enhancements, and application handling and priority setting.
- Network cabling installation and termination. (Copper and Fiber)
- Miscellaneous related duties as requested or assigned:
- Assist other IT departments (i.e. Desktop Services, Applications, Systems, etc.) as requested and needed.
- Assist in wider NSS projects including, but not limited to, system design, network cabling, manhole work, ladder work, crawlspaces, communications troubleshooting, multimedia equipment support in all campus buildings, etc., as requested and needed.
- Other incidental duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Director of Network Services.
- · Attend update meetings to review job and project progress and requirements, any problems or new requests encountered during the previous day, and to discuss any new assignments.
- · All other duties as assigned.
Posting Open Date:
- Work can be performed in both interior or exterior environments
- Ability to sit for long lengths of time
- Potentially work outside for up to 6 hours a day
- Must be able to lift/pull/push up to 60 pounds with assistance.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse.
- Basic writing skills (prepare and organize documents).
- Extensive verbal communications skills (provide information and assistance regularly).
- Intermediate math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages).
- Understanding of written directions.
- May have to work in cramped spaces or otherwise uncomfortable positions in the performance of assigned tasks.
03/11/2022Posting Close Date:
05/22/2022Quicklink for Posting/Requisition: