The Columbia University School of General Studies (GS) is the finest liberal arts college in the United States dedicated to making Ivy League education accessible to nontraditional students. GS was founded in 1947 on the mission of expanding access to elite higher education, and it remains the most diverse college in the Ivy League, with many transfer, first-generation, and international students. GS students are fully integrated with Columbia’s broader undergraduate population and are taught by Columbia’s celebrated faculty.
The Educational Financing Operations Coordinator has a significant role in key sectors of GS Financial Aid, working with staff and students to support and extend the excellence of undergraduate education at Columbia. The Educational Financing Operations Coordinator will focus on four key areas:
Process Management and Improvement:
- Oversees and designs the process for collecting and updating documentation related to student financial aid award packaging.
- Assists with monitoring and ensuring submitted financial aid applications are complete and performing outreach to students with incomplete or conflicting data
- Continuously assesses and makes decisions to improve operational workflows related to the capture and processing of data and documents
Creates documentation for and informs office staff on, the proper intake and processing of educational financing documents and data
- Works with the office staff and the Executive Director of Operations to ensure office policies and protocols for enrollment management documents are adhered to
- Oversees cohort counselor assignment and reconciliation
Information Management and Analysis:
- Develops systems to accurately and efficiently generate highly sensitive reports (ie. financial aid awards, named scholars, PALS)
- Creates and runs reports and procedures within Salesforce, Slate, Powerfaids, and related systems to manage critical data exchanges for the efficient execution of financial aid processes
- Oversees the administration of the IDOC portal, ensure documents are captured, coded, and properly tracked into internal systems while identifying opportunities for increased automation
- Uses reporting tools and other available resources to spot trends, measure performance, and to continuously improve operational performance
- Oversees Satisfactory Academic Progress outreach and data management
- Works with UFA to reconcile NYS TAP awarding issues
- Assists with grant substitutions for named scholarship process
- Designs, creates or recommends technological solutions to relieve administrative burdens and enhance student service
- Oversees the integration between various database systems (Salesforce, Powerfaids, Slate, Giftsum, etc.) used for managing student financial aid
- Coordinates with the educational financing team to facilitate key correspondence with students including award notifications
- Coordinates and facilitates all aspects of financial aid informational sessions both virtual and in-person modalities
Packages institutional aid for international students
- Assists the Executive Director of Operations with special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Answers inquiries from prospective students regarding aid process
Subject to business needs, we may support flexible and hybrid work arrangements. Options will be discussed during the interview process.
Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent plus a minimum of two years of related experience is required. Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills required.
Experience with project management, business process management, business analysis, and process improvement preferred. Computer Science, Information Systems, Operations Research or a related field of study a plus. High level of proficiency with MS Office suite and knowledge of database systems a must. Ability to handle a variety of simultaneous activities, attention to detail and ability to follow through a must. Managerial experience or experience working in a matrix team environment, experience with financial aid processing, experience using PowerFaids and Slate highly desirable. Basic knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRMs, as well as familiarity with project management systems are a plus.