Associate Director of Admission, Diversity Outreach
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Vassar College is seeking a full-time Associate Director of Admission for Diversity Outreach. This is an on-campus position.
The Associate Director will join a creative and inclusive team responsible for representing Vassar and participating in the selection of candidates for the entering class. In addition, working closely with the Dean and Director of Admission, the Associate Director will develop and coordinate efforts to enhance the representation of students of color, low-income, first-generation, and other historically underrepresented students on campus. This will include oversight of fall and spring fly-in programs, facilitating and maintaining relationships with college access organizations, and managing the office's partnership with QuestBridge. The Associate Director will also supervise the diversity outreach team.
Admission team members are also responsible for managing and supporting a territory. Four to six weeks of fall travel and one to two weeks of spring and summer travel are expected. This position will work collaboratively to support the enrollment of intelligent, highly engaged, and creative students, regardless of their financial circumstances. The Associate Director, in concert with the admission team, will support and advocate for the College's values regarding access, affordability, and inclusion. Responsibilities:
- Spearhead the office's diversity student recruitment efforts and share best practices with fellow admission officers;
- Represent Vassar to diverse audiences in high schools, at college fair programs, on campus, and through a range of online media;
- Manage a recruitment territory;
- Maintain relationships with secondary school officials, community-based and college-access organizations, and partnership programs on behalf of Vassar;
- Correspond with prospective students and their families;
- Organize and participate in a range of admission events;
- Develop and maintain relationships with Vassar alumni;
- Participate fully in the evaluation of applications and the selection of the first-year and transfer classes;
- Develop and lead college access workshops;
- Liaise with key campus constituents;
- Supervisor responsibilities, oversight of the diversity outreach team;
- Four to six weeks of fall travel and one to two weeks of spring/summer travel;
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred;
- A minimum of six years of admission experience with progressively increasing responsibility in selective college admissions and/or college counseling, or commensurate experience/education;
- Experience in highly selective college admission and an understanding of small liberal arts colleges preferred;
- Commitment to diversity and building an inclusive community;
- Experience working directly with students of color, students who will be the first in the families to attend college, and students from low-income backgrounds;
- Excellent work ethic with a can-do attitude and a knack for creative problem solving;
- Team player with empathy, respect for others, a collaborative approach, and a sense of humor;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills and a keen eye for detail;
- Able to work independently on tasks with minimal supervision;
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills;
- Familiarity and comfort with technology and database systems, experience with Slate is a plus;
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours, especially during peak periods;
- Advocate for a liberal arts education;
- Must exercise good judgment, discretion, and integrity while working collegially with faculty, students, staff, and alumni in a high-pressure, deadline-driven environment;
- Must be flexible and able to travel for several weeks;
- A valid driver’s license is required.
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2606.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency