We are seeking a Senior Writer
for the School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) who is responsible for creating an overarching strategy for and developing clear and effective content for internal audiences, including school leadership, the dean, faculty, students, staff, alumni, donors, and other members of the school community as needed. This role will also contribute to the production of external written material for multiple audiences, including prospective students, peer institutions, government, non-profit institutions, and business.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, and working with the Associate Director of Communications, this individual contributes to an effort to develop a strategic internal communications content calendar and creates the content which includes reports documenting the school's activities, presentations, and collateral to support leadership with the execution of the school's strategic goals, materials that support development and fundraising efforts, email campaigns about school news, priorities, policies, and other efforts, and other materials that feed the overarching strategy. Working with areas across the school including Admissions, Marketing, Development and Alumni Relations, and Global Careers, they also will work on print and digital collateral for school events for a wide variety of audiences.
This position will help ensure the efficiency and efficacy of communications between school leadership and faculty, staff, and students and other members of the school community and that the school's internal communications align with central university communications. The Senior Writer must be self-directed and self-motivated, an effective writer and editor, and a creative and strategic thinker who can work on multiple high-priority projects concurrently with minimal supervision.Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- In collaboration with the associate director for communications, develop an overarching strategy for and developing clear and effective content for internal and external audiences
- Writing and copyediting for a variety of communications and marketing materials, to include:
- Writing reports about the school, materials for external reviews of academic programs, materials prepared for university leadership, and special projects
- Drafting school news updates, announcements, and time-sensitive communications on a broad variety of topics
- Contributing to print and web collateral for school events
- Editing content for marketing and admissions collateral and campaigns
- Working with Development and Alumni relations, contribute to communications for their constituencies, including content for fundraising activities/events/philanthropic proposals, as well as campaign messages and materials
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Three years related experience.
- Five or more years of experience working in a writing/communications capacity; magazine, print or online publications.
- Writing samples are required.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing/copyediting skills
- Ability to balance competing priorities and to handle multiple assignments on deadline, while ensuring quality of resulting materials/content
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to pivot writing styles based on the format, message, audience, and purpose
- Organized, and demonstrated ability to manage long- and short-term complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to translate sometimes complex information into clear, concise messages for a variety of audiences
- Ability to maintain professional working relationships with administrators, faculty, and staff
- Knowledge of AP Style and ability to learn and uphold school/university style guidelines
- Ensuring internal message aligns with central university DEI efforts
Classified Title: Sr. Writer
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 37.5
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH at SAIS - Washington, DC
Department name: Marketing & Communications
Personnel area: SAIS
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Washington-Sr_-Writer-DC-20036/884065200/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency