Fiscal Analyst 3 - Payroll
About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
Tribal Land Acknowledgement
Eastern Washington University resides within the traditional homelands of the Spokane People and other tribes who are connected through their shared history of this region. This land holds their cultural DNA and it is their Ancestors who are here and bring forth the knowledge of this place—the knowledge that comes from the land.
- Eastern Washington University is currently seeking a Fiscal Analyst 3. The Fiscal Analyst 3 position performs senior level specialized payroll activities under general supervision within the Payroll Office. This position independently plans, coordinates and conducts its assigned workload. Assigned tasks rotate among all senior level FA3 positions within the Payroll office to provide adequate cross training and backup of necessary and vital payroll responsibilities.
- The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more.
- EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.
- Bachelor’s degree which includes 18 quarter or 12 semester hours in accounting, auditing, or related field by start date.
- Minimum two years of relevant professional experience in financial areas such as:
- Payroll, Accounting, Auditing, Financial transaction reconciliation, Financial reporting, Fiscal tracking and monitoring, Governmental experience, general or higher education, Tax preparation
- Detail oriented working experience with a high degree of accuracy
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Office products, Excel and Word.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
Other Skills and Abilities:
% of Time:
- Must be self-directed and able to complete projects with limited supervision.
- Experience with Ellucian (Banner) or similar integrated payroll enterprise systems.
- Experience working in a payroll office
75 Responsibility / Duty: Payroll Processing, Reporting & Validation
• Run the payroll processing cycle on a rotating basis with other payroll staff
• Set-up deductions in the payroll system and calculate and input needed adjustments including garnishments, medical, retirement and other miscellaneous deductions
• Calculate, verify and enter leave and comp-time cash-outs, retro pay and timesheet corrections
• Calculate, verify, collect and input overpayments
• Correspond with employees and take corrective action as needed for deduction adjustments and overpayments
• Calculate shared leave hours given, received and returned for employees
• Verify payroll input and calculations of other payroll staff
• Prepare and verify vendor payments and journal entries. This includes electronically uploading payroll data and payments
• Responsible for deduction/benefits reconciliations of payroll and vendor accounts
• Serve as liaison with vendors, benefits office and information technology staff
• Prepare regular and amended quarterly payroll reports for state and federal taxes
• Research payroll requirements for establishing other state tax reporting
• Annually assist with W2 preparation and reporting
• Assist with researching rules, laws, policies and procedures using different sources, such as authoritative manuals, union contracts, IRS and State laws, in order to update and maintain the payroll system Essential Function Indicator:
Yes % of Time:
10 Responsibility / Duty: Payroll System Maintenance
• Assist with implementation and maintenance of the Banner HR/Payroll system, which includes interpreting regulations and applying them to system processes
• Update and verify tables in the payroll system, such as deductions, earnings, and the payroll calendar
• Test changes and upgrades by running test payrolls and validating outcomes Essential Function Indicator:
Yes % of Time:
10 Responsibility / Duty: Procedure Maintenance & Documentation
• Assist in the review and implementation of changes to internal procedures for compliance with EWU, state and federal policies, procedures and regulations
• Continual review of payroll processing for efficiency and improvements
• Answer questions from employees and department personnel on payroll procedures and policies
• Notify campus community of payroll deadlines and processing changes
• Draft or suggest edits to written payroll procedures for both departmental use and outward-facing to the campus
• Draft campus wide emails and send website update requests as needed Essential Function Indicator:
Yes % of Time:
5 Responsibility / Duty: Other
• Utilize system query tools and the report writer for data validation, reporting and problem solving
• Answer employee questions related to paychecks, deductions, etc.
• Answer questions from university department personnel related to payroll feeds to the Finance system
• Perform other duties as required Essential Function Indicator:
Conditions of Employment:
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- All new employees must comply with EWU immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
- This position is covered by the Washington Federation of State Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.
$48,792 – $64,020
Open Until Further Notice:
Screening to Begin:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal provided below. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu/postings/8704
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency