Vice President and General Counsel
The Vice President and General Counsel serves the university Presidents and the Board of Regents for the University of Oklahoma, Cameron University, and Rogers State University. This position also provides strategic guidance, consultation, and support to the Presidents, the Board of Regents, and other university administrators on all campuses on a comprehensive range of legal and associated issues involved in carrying out the mission of the institutions.
Created by the Oklahoma Territorial Legislature in 1890, the University of Oklahoma is a doctoral degree-granting research university serving the educational, cultural, economic, and healthcare needs of the state, region, and nation. The Norman campus serves as home to all of the university’s academic programs except health-related fields.
The OU Health Sciences Center, which has academic and clinical programs in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and across the state, is one of the most comprehensive academic health centers in the nation with seven professional colleges, the state’s largest clinical group practice OU Physicians, and research centers such as the NCI designated Stephenson Cancer Center and the Harold Hamm Diabetes Center.
Cameron University is a public university in Lawton, Oklahoma founded in 1908. It offers more than 50 degrees through both undergraduate and graduate programs. The degree programs emphasize the liberal arts, science and technology, and graduate and professional studies.
Rogers State University (RSU) is a public university in Claremore, Oklahoma founded in 1909. RSU offers bachelor’s degrees in 17 disciplines and associate degrees in 13 disciplines, and a Master’s in Business Administration.
- JD from an American Bar Association accredited law school
- At least 10 years of experience as an attorney directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Member of the Oklahoma State Bar or member in good standing of the State Bar of another state or District of Columbia.
- Certifications or Licenses: Member of the Oklahoma State Bar or within one year of date of hire.
- Experience practicing law in the state of Oklahoma
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience in health law.
- 3-5 years of experience leading a general counsel office.
- Unwavering ethical standards and unquestionable integrity.
- Acceptance, understanding, and commitment to protect the OU Sooner name and brand.
- A creative problem solver who balances the need for solutions against risk and exposure to the university.
- Professionally diplomatic and able to relate to individuals at all levels, internally and externally.
- Understanding of the relationships among the Oklahoma Board of Regents for Higher Education, the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents, the university Presidents, and the state legislature.
- Experience in developing a cohesive and high performing team with a commitment to developing a succession plan that empowers and supports team members.
- A leadership style that supports a team approach to problems but remains highly responsive; must possess exceptional customer service skills.
For more information:
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity institution http://www.ou.edu/eoo/. Individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and are encouraged to apply.