HR Generalist 2 (7595U) ProS Region 35641
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Professional Schools Region (ProS) provides a wide range of reliable, high-quality administrative support services for the University of California, Berkeley in the areas of Human Resources & Academic Personnel Support Research Administration and Purchasing and Reimbursements.
In support of the UC Berkeley Operating Principles
and the university's mission of teaching, research and public service, ProS operates in a culture, which encourages collaboration, innovation, simplification, and accountability. Our staff focuses on service, a commitment that is aligned with the university vision. We recognize excellence and strive to provide timely, consistent, and dependable service to the ProS clients.
The Professional Schools region (ProS) serves the University Extension, Berkeley Law, Goldman School of Public Policy, Haas School of Business, School of Optometry, School of Public Health, Graduate School of Education, School of Social Welfare and the School of Journalism.
This position is responsible for recommending, developing, implementing, administering, coordinating, and/or evaluating Human Resources policies, labor contracts, statutes, programs and procedures covering several of the following: recruitment, compensation, employee relations, labor relations, payroll, benefits, welfare programs, training and development, visa procurement, intercampus transfers, and employee services for specific populations of employees.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 24, 2022. For full consideration please submit application materials by May 31, 2022.
Responsibilities HR Administration:
Administer a full range of client and departmental HR operations. These may include conducting business process analyses to streamline and/or update HR processes, hiring large cohorts of seasonal student or other staff to meet business needs of the client departments, and tracking and updating personnel actions in the system of record for the campus.
- Conduct HR trends analyses and help develop resulting recommendations.
- Generate reports in UC Systems; HR monthly appointment, visa and CWR end date reports. In collaboration with HR Partners, resolve non-routine, complex personnel processing problems, analyze and interpret personnel policy and procedures, and implement administrative changes for the department.
Serve as liaison between the HR Partner, the department and employee concerning student leaves of absence. Coordinate appointments managed via SmartSheets or other “mass-hire” method, e.g. GSI/GSR/Reader/Tutor appointments, TSPs, Lecturers. May manage Visiting Scholar, Lecturers and Postdoctoral appointment processes.Student Appointment Administration:
- Provide guidance to supervisors and managers in developing student job descriptions and provides guidance on student compensation personnel policies, and procedures.
- Under general supervision screens resumes and applications and interviews applicants for student positions.
- Compiles personnel information, collects appointment data, monitors appointment spreadsheets, confirms appropriate authorizations and eligibility.
- Work in tandem with UC teams and departments: ProS Onboarding, Payroll, HCM, Visa and Graduate Division Manage sensitive and confidential information and effectively and collaboratively interacts with client groups.
- Under general supervision provides advice and counsel to client groups according to established human resources policies and procedures. In collaboration with HR Partners, BRS, and campus HR, communicate on-going and new policies and procedures, practices, programs and relationships to the department, e.g., payroll deadlines.
- Has demonstrated working knowledge of various areas of HR.
- Acquiring knowledge of campus policies and procedures and knowledge of functional area.
- Has analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrates organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Possesses basic knowledge of human resources policies and programs and ability to gain knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of HR specific related business software programs and systems.
- Excellent listening and customer service skills- applies tact and diplomacy, persuasive and sensitive
- Excellent computer skills, proficiency in MS Word, Excel, database management, experience in tracking and data analysis
- Highly motivated, flexible - comfortable and adaptable in a fast moving, high pressure, constantly changing environment, with frequent interruptions and shifting multiple priorities.
- Results oriented - creative problem solving ability, dependable, can work collaboratively on a team.
- Proficient in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and in integrating information in the completion of assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt career position. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience with a range of $29.80 - $32.86/hour. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
Referral Source info
This job is part of the Employee Referral Program. If a UC Berkeley employee is referring you, please ensure you select the Referral Source
of "UCB Employee
" and then enter the employee's Name
and Berkeley email
address in the Specific Referral Source
field. Please enter only one name and email.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=35641&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency