Director of Strategic Development, The Water Center
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Director of Strategic Development, The Water CenterJob Profile Title
Associate Director DJob Description Summary
Responsible for developing and executing the Water Center's unrestricted fundraising plan, supervising execution of the Water Center's communications strategy, and overseeing communications strategy for Water Center research projects. In conjunction with the Executive Director, produces annual reports, annual strategic plan review/updates, and long-term strategic plan every three years. Oversees daily operational management of the Water Center and works with the Executive Director and Director of Applied Research to manage the Water Center's budget.Job Description
The Water Center at the University of Pennsylvania provides integrated real-world solutions to critical urban water challenges. We engage and connect the University community with regional water practitioners, decision makers, and national and global thought leaders for the purpose of developing integrated and innovative urban water strategies that address public health, infrastructure, and the socioeconomic and environmental challenges of long-term urban water sustainability and resiliency.DUTIES:
Supervise Communications Manager in the development and execution of the Water Center's multi-platform communications strategy including outreach, branding, marketing, and communication efforts through use of publications, website, social media, programs, and events. Strategic communication goals include building The Water Center's brand, increasing stakeholder engagement, and establishing stakeholder feedback loops.
Develop and execute the unrestricted fundraising plan by working closely with the Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations, cultivating relationships with key donors, developing, securing, and maintaining corporate sponsorships, and coordinating fundraising efforts through alumni and External Advisory Board members. Responsible for developing and running the External and Advisory Board.
Oversee the Water Center's strategic planning, metrics, and annual reporting including but not limited to the strategic plan, Dean's Office report, Spring Point summary and mid-year status updates.
Supervise the Communications Manager in developing a communications strategy for research projects including supporting the research team on project proposals and, upon securing research funds, executing individual research project communication strategies. This position also assists the Director of Programs and Applied Research in updating the restricted funding strategy and building relationships with foundations.
Oversee the operations and organizational management of the Water Center including internal communications such as team meetings and activities, procurement, and student engagement, all of which are performed on a day-to-day basis by the Communications and Student Coordinator.
Work with the Water Center's Executive Director and the Director of Applied Research to develop and manage the Water Center's budgeting and expenditures.
General Communications Team management including supporting individual team member professional development, hiring, onboarding, and managing assigned Senior Advisors and Fellows, and students as necessary.QUALIFICATIONS:
Job Location - City, State
- Bachelor's degree with 5 to 7 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Master's degree preferred
- At least 7 years of experience managing communications strategies, campaigns, and teams in academic institutions or NGOs preferred
- 7+ years experience working in development/fundraising preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent listening skills with ability to understand individual, departmental, institutional, and cultural nuances and respond appropriately
- Must be able to build strong personal and professional relationships with internal and external colleagues, faculty, academic leadership, alumni, funders, and corporate sponsors
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; proven ability to manage multiple issues and projects simultaneously and creatively
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to inspire and lead teams fairly and with respect for all
- Comfortable with ambiguity and changing course quickly as needs arise
- Ability to negotiate complex and difficult environments
- Success in building and managing successful organizations
- Experience managing budgeting and performance metrics
- Commitment to water related DEIJ issues
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
School of Arts and SciencesPay Range
$61,046.00 - $95,972.00Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/McNeil-Building---4th-Floor/Director-of-Strategic-Development--The-Water-Center_JR00052089-2
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency