Student Financial Officer
School of Engineering, Stanford, California, United States
The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
Electrical Engineering is one of the largest departments in the School of Engineering at Stanford, with nearly 60 faculty and over 800 undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students. The department is consistently ranked in the top group of all electrical engineering departments in the nation.
The Electrical Engineering Department in the School of Engineering seeks a Student Financial Officer to administer the department's student financial appointments. In addition, he/she is the primary contact to administrative staff and faculty regarding postdoctoral and visiting researcher appointments. This position reports directly to the Director of Student and Academic Services.
To be considered for this role, please submit your resume and cover letter along with your online application.CORE DUTIES
- Review, process, gather, and compile accounting transactions and documents for completeness, accuracy, and compliance. Contribute to development of analyses to be used for key activities or decision making.
- Identify, prioritize, and resolve accounting issues; probe beyond stated situation; identify underlying issues; recognize exceptions; perform preliminary analysis.
- Run, maintain, reconcile, review, combine, analyze and validate financial data sets, utilizing financial reports, financial databases, and key financial information often from multiple systems. Assist in the preparation of basic management information reports.
- Identify and resolve incorrect journal entries, data anomalies, deviations from established procedures, and unusual issues.
- Collect data and perform research on details of transactions. Ensure work complies with complex internal policies and external regulations which may require interpretation.
- Participate as a member of a project team and contribute to change management strategy through communication and collaboration with others.
- Recommend, assist, test, or implement process streamlining, system improvements or work flow changes.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of desktop procedures and process documentation for areas of responsibility.
- Serve as a liaison to other departments to resolve accounting-related issues.
- May train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed. Contribute primarily through applying individual expertise.
*Other duties as requiredAdditional Core Duties Student Financial Appointments
Visiting Researcher and Postdoctoral Appointments
- Enter and maintain financial data in GFS (e.g., fellowship, CA and RA appointments).
- Monitor and verify RA appointment forms.
- Monitor and verify enrollment of funded students for disbursement and clear unapplied aid.
- Process and track SGF financial awards.
- Coordinate with the School of Engineering on external Fellowships/Awards.
- Analyze and resolve student financial aid problems as they relate to department funding.
- Administer hourly students' time through Axess timecard
- Complete and transmit I-9 forms to Payroll.
- Verify student financial information for international students renewing their I-20 certificates.
- Issue letters to international students to confirm employment for their Social Security application.
- Run monthly reports in OBIEE Reporting to view all student financial activities and to track hourly students' data.
- Create salary adjustments and monitor for timely approvals.
- Process labor distribution adjustments for clearing student and staff entries.
- Clear the suspense account on a monthly basis.
Education & Experience (Required)
- Review appointment forms and coordinate visiting researcher appointments.
- Point person for EE administrative staff for the processing of Visiting Researcher and Postdoctoral forms and appointments.
- Coordinate postdoctoral appointments with the Post-Doctoral Office.
Education & Experience (Desired)
- Associate degree plus two years of applicable experience, or combination of education and relevant work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Student services experience desired.
Why Stanford is for You
- Proficiency in basic business applications, such as Microsoft Office; user knowledge of Excel.
- Basic knowledge of accounting systems and the internet; computer literacy.
- Understanding of and ability to apply accounting skills and concepts.
- Ability to draft professional e-mails, memos, business letters, and reports, and to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal audiences and client groups. Must be able to communicate complex ideas to all levels of individuals internal and external to the University.
- Ability to learn project management skills and to participate as part of a project team.
- Excellent knowledge of PeopleSoft and ReportMart required.
- Excellent interpersonal/customer service skills to interface with students, faculty, and staff within the department and university.
- Proven organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently under minimal direction and be able to handle multiple assignments with fluctuating priorities
- Demonstrated ability to independently diagnose and solve problems.
- Demonstrated aptitude to manage large volume of calls, e-mails, and in-person inquiries and to handle multiple tasks in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to take initiative and exhibit good judgment in all areas of responsibility.
- Ability to function effectively under the pressure of deadlines and frequent interruptions in a busy environment while maintaining a pleasant demeanor.
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, and Google Drive is highly desirable.
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
Certifications and Licenses:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat.
- Rarely stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Occasionally work on weekends, evenings, holidays, and flexible shifts.
- May work extended hours during peak business cycles.
How to Apply
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making. *
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/3067249
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency