Senior HR Strategist - Student Affairs (7597U) 31772
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
This position is on the Student Affairs Administration team, part of the central Student Services group that provides services and support to all 40+ departments in the Division of Student Affairs.
Student Affairs Administration (SAA) supports the division in making data- driven decisions, fostering a supportive learning environment, and maximizing resources. We do this by focusing on systems, processes, and procedures as well as data analytics, process improvement, internal controls, and structured learning and development opportunities. SAA provides administrative, human resources, project management, analytical, strategic, and organizational support through targeted projects, division- wide initiatives, and representation in campus organizations. We collaboratively create solutions to increase staff engagement, enhance administrative efficiency, and enable teams to
focus on their functional areas of expertise in order to maximize their support of students. We provide consulting and training that improves skills, knowledge, equitable access to opportunity, and leadership accountability; and strategically manage all Human Resources functions at the divisional level.
The Division of Student Affairs exists to help students with every aspect of their lives at UC Berkeley. We build, shape, and enhance student experiences, and propel students to achieve their individual visions of success. From empowering them to take charge of their physical, mental, intellectual, and fiscal wellness, to supporting them as they learn to find and amplify their voices, we challenge students to transform tomorrow into the world they envision today.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 9, 2022
Responsibilities Strategic HR Leadership:
Responds to Exceptions and Trends in HR Case Management:
- As the HR technical expert for the division, uses data and research to provide guidance to the Vice Chancellor, divisional executives, senior leaders, managers and supervisors on compensation programs, personnel policies and procedures (for example: classifications, salary increases and stipends, workforce/organization planning).
- Applies advanced HR concepts to counsel senior managers on HR issues, employee and labor policies, procedures, and appropriate practices. Advises managers on short- and long-term options, staffing and FTE restructuring, budget implications and resource allocation, and succession management.
- Establishes divisional processes, tools, and training that enable and empower staff and managers to understand and engage proactively with HR processes and systems in order to produce desired outcomes and reduce problems, conflicts, and delays.
- Works in close coordination with campus HR partners including Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) and Employee/Labor Relations (ELR) to ensure the division is successful in efficiently and fairly resolving HR and ELR issues. Common issues include leaves management, conduct or performance concerns, and major health and safety issues such as workplace injuries.
- Provides support to units or departments (and/or coordinates the support from campus service providers and subject matter experts) in administering policies and programs in the areas of employment, labor relations, wage and salary administration, training, and other areas of HR.
Research & Analysis on Compliance and Progress related to HR:
- Facilitates the process for departments, campus partners, and subject matter experts to address escalated or recurring HR issues, and to determine the appropriate course of action according to applicable personnel policy or bargaining agreements.
- Responsible for tracking chronic problems and issues that prevent cases from moving through the appropriate channels according to agreed timelines. Identifies delays in HR progress on cases and leads the solution to move them through as expected. Works with divisional managers, Berkeley Regional Services and Berkeley People & Culture teams to problem solve service delivery issues on behalf of the division.
- Uses research and data to identify strategic HR trends and recurring HR service delivery problems; collaborates with departments and campus partners to resolve conflicts and delays to reach desired outcomes.
Strategic Workforce Planning and Organization Development:
- Conducts highly complex and varied analyses of data, issues, or concepts and develops resulting recommendations employing political acumen and integrating information to determine appropriate courses of action and their implications. Identifies trending HR issues and complies information in order to design strategies to manage them successfully.
- Prepares highly detailed HR case research and policy briefs on behalf of divisional leaders on the most complex employee issues, carefully presenting information so it may be used in the course of legal or public action on behalf of the university. Responsible for maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality in difficult situations.
- Using data and research, recommends to senior management systemic remedies to recurring problems and conflicts such as training, and/or changes to organizational practices and procedures. Recommends solutions and innovations to drive progress on HR-related objectives.
- Stays well-informed on current HR issues, trends, and innovations; organizational theories; and proposed new or changes to local, state, or federal regulations.
Other Duties as Assigned:
- Reviews resumes and applications and engages in the interview process for senior level and other critical positions, elevating DEIBJ practices throughout the process to produce strategic outcomes for the division.
- Where appropriate, conducts separation/exit interviews to collect important qualitative data, providing feedback to management, and recommending changes to department practices as appropriate.
- Takes leadership of highly complex re- organizations and workforce actions with cross- department impact to assist the division in meeting business objectives while maintaining HR compliance and alignment with divisional and campus strategic objectives.
- Regularly serves on and/or chairs campus wide and divisional committees and workgroups where there is a strategic HR component. Provides counsel on significant, complex, or challenging HR initiatives and process changes.
- Works with divisional leaders and department managers to help determine appropriate organization HR strategies, policies, and practices in times of major change or crisis.
- 5 years of advanced knowledge in human resources concepts, policies and procedures including employment practices, labor relations, salary administration, training and other areas of human resources as well as organizational initiatives relating to and/or affecting human resources.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of organizational policies and HR procedures in a large and highly complex institution; advanced knowledge of strategic HR concepts and issues, and understands how work affects other areas in Human Resources, business units, and the organization as a whole.
- Possesses advanced qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to present complex information to various audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to summarize comprehensive details into targeted written communications that meet organizational needs. Able to employ a diversity of communication styles.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or challenging situations / individuals effectively. Demonstrated active listening and critical thinking skills. Understands the complex requirements of maintaining the confidentiality of sensitive matters and legally privileged information.
- Strong analytical, active listening, and critical thinking skills.
- Advanced experience with software and technical tools used in HR work including spreadsheets, data storage solutions, data visualization tools, and ticketing systems such as ServiceNow and Salesforce.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others and lead positive change.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- In-depth knowledge of human resources management systems and tools, and / or other related business software programs and systems.
- Experience with budget and risk management practices.
- In-depth experience with labor relations
- SHRM certification
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Hiring range expectation is $127,300/annually. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
- This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment, eligible for full UC benefits.
- This is a remote-friendly position, eligible for 100% remote capability.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=31772&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency