KPBS Videographer/ Studio Technician (Production)
Starting at $21.94 per hour - DOE
KPBS serves the greater San Diego community with informative, cultural, entertaining, and educational television, radio, and web programming. KPBS TV/FM is the public television and radio stations for San Diego. Licensed to San Diego State University, KPBS supports and furthers the university's educational and community service mission by informing, enlightening, and empowering its listeners. It does so not only by presenting national and locally produced programming of value to its San Diego audience, but also by producing programming about San Diego and its people for distribution nationwide.
The KPBS Production Services department works as a team in collaboration with other departments to enhance the operations of KPBS TV on the campus of SDSU.
The KPBS Production Services oversees and provides content for television, radio and digital media production, post- production, field production, graphics, studio rental, special events, sales of excess capacity and projects coordination, design, planning of new facilities and equipment acquisition.This position is covered under the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement with KPBS.
Under supervision of the Production Services Manager, the Videographer/Studio Technician is responsible for participating as technical crew in KPBS studio and field productions and other special show, events, and projects. The position includes camera operator, lighting, editing, technical directing, audio for TV and radio live production, radio technical directing, video playback, video shading, graphics, studio maintenance, teleprompter, and associated positions in production.
Lighting design for productions. The position develops set designs and plans for construction. The job mentors part time production assistants working in the studio.
The following information is intended to be representative of the work performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities. Job descriptions may be changed at any time based on the needs of the department.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
Knowledge and Abilities
- Operates video cameras, on location or in the studio, in the production of professional pre-recorded programming.
- Designs, transports, sets up, and operates production equipment, including audio and lighting equipment, for field and studio productions.
- Computer edits video segments on a variety of digital formats and software.
- Completes trouble and preventive maintenance reports on video and audio production equipment; assists in repair and upkeep of studio and production sets and properties.
- Maintains equipment inventory and field and studio production schedules.
- Assist with media management of digital assets and KPBS library.
- Customer Service: communicating with clients with courtesy, diplomacy and tact. Assessing the needs and wants of clients and/or vendors and meeting those needs and wants within specified budget limits.
- Represent KPBS to external clients w/ the highest level of professionalism and customer service.
- Participate as technical crew in KPBS studio productions and other special shows and events including but not limited to locally produced programs, various outside clients, Pledge Productions and Awards Presentations.
- Studio/location lighting and set design.
- Work individually or with producers, reporters and clients. Incumbent will be responsible for all aspects of audio production, video production including studio or field production.
- Actively participate in pre-production development and planning and post-production analysis and critique sessions with program producers and directors, providing the technical expertise needed to maximize production effectiveness.
- Performance of first-line corrective maintenance and routine preventive maintenance on the various electronic systems/ studio equipment. Incumbent will report equipment failures when intensive corrective maintenance procedures are required.
- Performing technical evaluation of programs to assure compliance with station and network technical standards.
- Build strong production skills by mentoring part time production assistants.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of a full range of production techniques and equipment used in audio production and editing software in both studio and field environments.
- Ability to learn and apply techniques used throughout the production cycle; preproduction, production, and post-production.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, overtime, early and late shifts when requested.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills to coordinate all facets of radio and television production, including schedules, budgets, and other projects.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to establish and maintain cooperative and cordial working relations with a wide range of internal and public contacts.
- Excellent communication skills, including demonstrated writing ability, to disseminate information about activities, programs, and objectives.
- Knowledge of professional audio and/or video editing software and post-production procedures, techniques, and standards.
- Ability to configure, operate and maintain studio and/or field audio, lighting, and associated production equipment.
- Minimum of 6 months studio technical experience, especially in the role of technical director.
- Equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in TV/Radio communications or related field.
Additional Applicant Information:
- Prefer three years
- TV Broadcast production is preferred
- Enjoy working with people and in support of content creators
To apply, visit https://careers-sdsurf.icims.com/jobs/13289/kpbs-videographer--studio-technician-%28production%29/job?in_iframe=1
- The COVID-19 vaccine is required by the CSU for all SDSU Research Foundation employees as a condition of employment. Should you be offered a position, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination status. Individuals who obtain an approved medical or religious exemption on file will be required to complete regular COVID-19 testing
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
- San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency