Managing Director, Pennovation Works
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Managing Director, Pennovation WorksJob Profile Title
Managing DirectorJob Description Summary
The Division of Facilities and Real Estate Services (FRES) provides the expertise, business process, policies and standards required to plan, design, construct, operate, maintain and renew the physical assets of the University, excluding the health system. In addition, the Division, comprised of approximately five Departments, is responsible for the strategic planning, management and operation of non-academic University property, and collaborating with the neighborhood to create a safe, diverse and economically vibrant destination. With close to 12M square feet of space, FRES maintains 186 buildings on a campus of 276 acres, completes over 60,000 maintenance requests per year, and starts approximately 250 projects a year. FRES is comprised of the following Departments: Administration, Office of the University Architect, Design and Construction, Real Estate, Operations and Maintenance.
The University of Pennsylvania is implementing a campus transformation entitled Penn Connects (http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu
). This comprehensive, award winning effort is expanding the campus over the next 20 years, including the construction of new academic research and recreational facilities. In addition, the University has secured $300M in Century Bond funding and continues to upgrade existing facilities over the coming years. https://www.facilities.upenn.edu/Job DescriptionManaging Director
Reporting to the Executive Director of Real Estate Services, the Managing Director of Pennovation Works (MD) is responsible for overall direction and oversight of the Pennovation Works Campus (a 23 acre development site) on behalf of Penn. The Pennovation Works just celebrated its 5th year anniversary. The campus currently represents an ecosystem which houses innovators and entrepreneurs in approximately 250,000 square feet and the long-term plan is slated to grow to 1.5 to 2.0 M square feet. The Managing Director is charged to translates the University's and Pennovation Work's vision into actionable plans and provides leadership via effective partnerships with the decentralized team responsible for Pennovation Works operations.
Working with a matrixed team of internal collaborators and vendors, the MD is responsible for ensuring that Pennovation Works' strategic direction, as documented in the Master Plan and 5-Year Strategic Plan, is implemented according to established principles including fiscal monitoring and management, project initiation and implementation, marketing, and leasing as required. The MD maintains effective communication tools to track progress and communicates effectively with leadership.
As a Real Estate team member, the MD maintains a collaborative team environment among the University collaborators and vendors including: the Pennovation Center Operator, RE Divisions, and third party property manager (and as applicable the various school/center and commercial customers) to create a collaborative and effective community. The MD is responsible for overseeing Pennovation Works Programming, JPOD operations, management of all leases and vendor contracts pertaining to the Pennovation Works campus, including Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL), 76FWD, individual tenants of the University, private investors/development partners, and other service providers.
For more information on Pennovation Works: https://www.pennovation.upenn.eduJob Responsibilities
- Oversight of Pennovation Works operations by JLL, 76FWD, and other operating vendors/partners as assigned.
- Oversight of the operating budget and strategic planning of 5 capital budget of Pennovation Works. This includes operating budgets include allocations for the JPOD (a partnership with Johnson and Johnson), Pennovation Works Programming/Events, transportation services, campus amenities, Pennovation Center operations and property management services.
- Oversite of Business Development of Pennovation Works including communications, marketing, and leasing (external tenants of the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania)
- Monitoring of design and construction of Penn-owned Real Estate facilities and infrastructure at Pennovation Works
- Oversight in collaboration with other Real Estate Stakeholders the implementation of the Pennovation Works Master Plan and 5-Year Strategic Plan with responsibility for periodic review and update of the Plans as directed by Penn Executive Leadership.
- Implementation of the Pennovation Works Master Plan and 50 Year Strategic Plan with responsibility for periodic review and update of the Plans as directed by Penn Executive Leadership.
- Chair of the Curation Committee with Vice Provost for Penn Center Innovation ventures that is tasked with applying all new tenants/members in Penn-owned buildings the Programming Committee, and the Marketing Committee.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
*A Master's Degree and 7 to 10 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and exerience are required.
* Minimum 7 to 10 years of relevant experience, including leadership/management experience
*Experience in management of Innovation Ecosystem, desirable
* Knowledge of real estate development
* Understanding of design and construction project management
* Demonstrated experience with third party property management
* Demonstrated experience with budget development and administration
* Experience with strategic planning
* Knowledge of economic development
* Leadership or knowledge related to educational/entrepreneurial programming desirable
* Demonstrated ability to manage diverse stakeholders including corporate partnerships desirable
* MBA or equivalent degree desirable
* Demonstrated written oral and communication skills, web experience desirableThe expected salary for this role will range from $198,000 - $215,000 annually based on the experience, competencies, skills and background that are relevant for the role.Penn has retained the services of Lincoln Leadership (www.lincolnleadership.co) to conduct this search. Those interested in the search or who want to recommend someone for the role should contact Andrew C. Wheeler, Founder & President, at 267 257-1910 or [email protected]. For best consideration, apply by March 31, 2022. Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Facilities and Real Estate ServicesPay Range
$104,191.00 - $168,063.66Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Left-Bank-Facilites--Real-Estate-Services/Managing-Director--Pennovation-Works_JR00047553
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency