OPAL Student Services Coordinator
The Office of Academic Affairs is seeking an OPAL Student Services Coordinator
who will provide complex administrative support to students and faculty across all our fully online, part-time programs, serving as the main point of contact between students and the OPAL Program Office. This position requires the ability to communicate successfully via phone, email, and in-person with a diverse population of learners that may be unfamiliar with university practices and policies, or those specific to the School or OPAL.
The OPAL Student Services Coordinator will ensure consistent and accurate follow up and outreach to the students in the OPAL programs and is expected to act as an information resource and provide outstanding concierge-level customer service via multiple modalities, including but not limited to phone, email, text, and video conference. This position reports directly to the Academic Program Manager for OPAL and supports the OPAL Director.
Note: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serves as first point of contact for OPAL students for non-academic issues, such as enrollment services, financial aid, registration, and student accounts.
- Plays a significant role in creating customer service best practices and improving service levels. Maintain student FAQs and expand as new topics arise.
- Provides information and assistance to enrolled students regarding administrative needs, including program requirements, course schedules, and registrations, assisting students with course selections and approved course substitutions.
- Triages, conducts basic research, and refers issues involving academic and grading problems; provides information and assists and refers students with inquiries about graduation requirements. Refers students to Student Enrollment SEAM, academic advisor, TA or course instructor for additional support when appropriate. Consult with Program Manager as needed.
- Investigates and problem-solves student issues as feasible and escalates to Program Manager when needed.
- Maintains and ensures security of confidential student records, including admissions, course information, etc.
- Is familiar with and comfortable navigating CoursePlus, the school's Learning Management System (LMS) and routinely assists students with course related issues in the LMS. Also assists senior OPAL staff with updating and maintaining information for students within OPAL sites in CoursePlus.
- Monitors student activity in CoursePlus sites for courses each term. Provides support to course instructors with outreach to students who are not actively engaged.
- Manages weekly communication to engage the student body and support retention efforts through various tactical approaches.
- Provides payment deadlines, account information, and helpful instructions on using student accounts self-service tools to students.
- Provides registration deadlines and gives helpful instructions on using registration self-service tools to students in accordance with academic calendar deadlines for registration.
- Ensures that advisor contact information is posted and shared with students as appropriate.
- Assists with communication about student organizations, membership eligibility, and the election or appointment process, if applicable.
- Assists with maintaining the centralized OPAL email account, which involves responding to or triaging queries from students, faculty, and prospective applicants and sending program updates to students. Includes addressing questions regarding OPAL, JHSPH, and JHU policies and procedures.
- Monitors course enrollments and notifies Program Manager of any issues or concerns.
- Assists senior OPAL staff (i.e., Senior Coordinator and/or Program Manager) with maintaining/updating student lists including degree audits (enrollment data), expected graduates, certificate completions, email contact lists and related lists or queries.
- Identify potential inefficiencies to promote operational excellence and coordinator process improvements of service to students.
- Utilize and customize communication templates for students to share important information related to curriculum updates, enrollment verification, certificate completion, funding, and other program issues.
- Assists senior OPAL staff with on-site or virtual OPAL-focused part of Admitted Student Visitor Days. Coordinate campus visits of newly admitted students. This involves communicating with visiting students to arrange customized visit days, including faculty visits, and campus tours.
- Answers follow up questions from new students about orientation communications and related events.
- Prepares, distributes, and collects doodle polls, surveys or other questionnaires for students, faculty, and staff. Maintain electronic record of response data.
- Acts as liaison between OPAL Office and JHU and JHSPH's various student service offices such as JHSAP, Disability, Career Services and Alumni relations, to connect students and alumni with appropriate resources and contacts. Serve as sounding board for students who need a place to talk. Refer as appropriate to Counseling Center, Academic Advising, Dean of Students, etc.
- Assists other departmental academic staff, as required.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Attend weekly meetings with the OPAL Director, Program Manager and other administrative staff as needed. Be prepared to discuss current program and student issues.
- Participate in School administrative staff meetings (Administrative Roundtable, Academic Affairs, Staff Town Hall, etc.), OPAL Executive Committee meetings, and other meetings related to OPAL programs.
- Assist with scheduling of OPAL-related meetings or events, including sending Doodle polls to confirm timing, reserving space, ordering, and confirming catering, sending Outlook calendar updates and other logistics support.
- Serve, as asked, on committees, subgroups, and focus groups regarding improvement to academic related policies and procedures.
- Participate in professional development and training opportunities to stay abreast of institutional, federal, and other regulations. Explore and use job-related tools and functions.
- Assist with coordination of department events including periodic virtual events, and annual graduation celebration, which includes preparing invitations, and arranging for rooms and catering.
- Provide administrative support including scheduling non-departmental classrooms and equipment as needed; assisting with access issues related to CoursePlus, email accounts, and SIS; as well as other duties as assigned.
- These responsibilities require special knowledge of and compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and all federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations related to JHU. Strictly adhere to organizational procedures regarding security and confidentiality of student financial and FERPA protected information.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- 3 years administrative/academic related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Background in communication.
- Experience in an academic setting is strongly preferred.
- Experience using an LMS for online courses and/or course content.
Internal/External Contacts Required:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with an international constituency.
- Must be highly organized with attention to detail and the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities with concurrent deadlines.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with students and all levels of faculty, staff, and administration within the School and University, as well as external contacts including alumni.
- Proficiency with databases, spreadsheets, web sites and social media, and JHU academic systems (i.e., SIS, DGA, Courseleaf, OneDrive, Slate, Canva, WordPress, etc.) preferred.
- The successful candidate must be detail-oriented, independent, and proactive and open to learning new systems and procedures.
- On a regular and continuous basis, exercise administrative judgment and assume responsibility for assigned tasks, decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and quality of service.
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information, adhering to FERPA guidelines and other School and University policies.
- Flexibility and being a team player are essential for success.
Degree of Independent Action Performed:
- Student, alumni, faculty, colleagues, administration within the School and University including Registrar, Admissions and Student Services
Computer/Other Special Requirements:
- Works independently with minimal day to day supervision.
- Escalates issues to senior OPAL staff for additional support or direction when needed.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Acrobat.
- Working knowledge of DGA, SIS, SAP, OneDrive, SharePoint, Slate, Courseleaf, Word Press are preferred.
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems (LMS).
Classified Title: Academic Program Coordinator
Working Title: OPAL Student Services Coordinator
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $17.59 - $24.80/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Hybrid/School of Public Health
Department name: Sr Assoc Dean for Acdmc Affairs Off of
Personnel area: School of Public Health
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-OPAL-Student-Services-Coordinator-MD-21205/882925800/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency