Dean of Research, Stanford, California, United States
The Stanford Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence (HAI) is a newly formed and rapidly growing institute within the Dean of Research. As an independent research institute, HAI's mission is to advance AI research, education, policy, and practice to improve the human condition. The AI Index is an independent initiative at the Stanford Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence. The initiative is led by the AI Index Steering Committee, an interdisciplinary group of experts from across academia and industry. Its goal is to be the world's most credible and authoritative source for data and insights about AI.
The AI Index Report tracks, collates, distills, and visualizes data related to artificial intelligence. Its mission is to provide unbiased, rigorously vetted, and globally sourced data for policymakers, researchers, executives, journalists, and the general public to develop intuitions about the complex field of AI.Our Vice Provost/Dean of Research (VPDoR) Diversity Journey:
- We create a hub of innovation through the power of diversity of disciplines and people.
- We provide equitable access and opportunity to all members of the community in order to do their best work, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- We listen to and value all colleagues who bring diverse perspectives to the advancement and development of a respectful community.
- We promote a culture of belonging, equity, and safety.
- We embed these values in excellence of education, research, and operation.
Reporting to the Director of Research Programs, the Research Manager is responsible for leading and managing the AI Index program, including creating strategic plans, organizing and communicating timelines, and ensuring the execution of the annual AI Index report and other publications, working closely with the AI Index Steering Committee. Must demonstrate strong project management, written, and oral communications skills and attention to detail. Capable of representing HAI and AI Index to external audiences, including faculty, industry executives, and policymakers, among others.
We are hiring one (1), full time (100% FTE), fixed term position for two (2) years, which is renewable based on programmatic need and funding. All final candidates must complete a background check. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.CORE DUTIES:
- Develop and manage research programs by conducting research activities, including outreach to varied stakeholders within the program, assigning resources and making program improvement recommendations that impact policies and programs.
- Manage AI Index program and lead the execution of the annual AI Index report, in close collaboration with the AI Index steering committee and HAI leadership.
- Identify, recommend, and implement opportunities for new research.
- Distill data from research on AI measurement via a cross-sector lens, including research and development, technical performance, ethical challenges, the economy and education, AI policy and governance, and more.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:Education & Experience:
- Source, collect and analyze data, create reports, review, and explain trends; formulate and evaluate alternative solutions and/or recommendations to achieve the goals of the program or function.
- Teach and/or assist in the teaching and administration of courses. Develop curriculum. Develop curriculum-rating survey, detailed feedback on courses and make recommendations for preliminary overview and changes.
- Write and/or edit complex content for proposals, research grants, peer-reviewed publications, and other program activities.
- Contribute to and inform on strategic program/entity planning and related funding and financial sustainability.
- May advise students and/or coach/mentor clients.
- Develop or contribute to outreach strategy related to program communications, development, partnerships, and fundraising/funding.
- Coach and mentor program staff.
Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or combination of education, training, and relevant experience. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to develop program partnerships and funding sources.
- Excellent oral, written, and analytical skills, exhibiting fluency in area of specialization.
- Ability to oversee and direct staff.
- Basic knowledge of managing budgets and developing financial plans.
- Frequently stand/walk, sitting, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, perform desk-based computer tasks
- Occasionally use a telephone, writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 40 pounds
- Rarely soft/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh >40 pounds
- Ability to use voice to present information/communicate with others
- On-campus mobility
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.WORKING CONDITIONS:
- May work extended hours, evenings, or weekends
- May travel locally
- Occasional overnight travel
Why Stanford is for You
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture
and unique perks
empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
*The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
*Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/3061079
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency