Senior Technical Accountant
Business Affairs: Financial Management Services (FMS), Redwood City, California, United States
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job descriptionJOB PURPOSE:
If you enjoy challenge, variety, and working with people - this position will interest you. The Senior Technical Accountant is an integral part of the Financial Reporting team within the Controller's Office. This position reports to the Manager of Financial Reporting and requires a solid knowledge of U.S GAAP accounting, an ability to work independently to perform complex financial analysis and research complex technical accounting issues.
The Senior Technical Accountant's responsibilities will include performing complex accounting and analysis functions such as preparation of the annual statements of cash flows, analyzing large data sets as well as performing technical accounting research on complex accounting issues. Responsibilities of this role will also include leading or participating in projects and presenting clear and concise financial analysis and reports to university senior management.
In addition to the requisite technical accounting and analytical experience, the successful candidate possesses process improvement and operational skills necessary to deliver outstanding service and collaborate effectively with cross-functional partners and various levels of management. CORE DUTIES*:
- Design and perform periodic financial reports and ad hoc analyses
- Perform technical accounting research on complex accounting issues such as lease accounting
- Prepare annual statements of cash flows by collaborating with cross-functional partners
- Identify and resolve complex issues, which may span multiple areas; apply ingenuity and creativity to problem analysis and resolution, and recognize exceptions. Participate in developing solutions that may require policy changes or the development of new processes; maintain broader organizational perspective in decision-making.
- Develop reports and presentations of complex financial data and metrics for management and third parties including internal financial reports and external financial statements.
- Execute internal control programs established by management, research new accounting guidance, and recommend and implement approved changes. Manage compliance program for area of responsibility, and create complex compliance reports.
- Provide consulting advice to client group(s); serve as a resource on matters that require specific technical accounting expertise such as knowledge of ASC 842 lease accounting
- Participate as a member of a project team; support new initiatives; cooperate and adapt to changes and processes; make decisions determining approach to managing and completing processes.
- Develop and maintain desktop procedures and process documentation for area of responsibility. Participate in critical analysis of existing systems and processes, and identify opportunities for process improvement.
*Other duties may also be assigned.MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and 4 years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Deep knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the ability to interpret and apply advanced and complex accounting rules; Preference given to CPA s with Big 4 experience; Industry experience would be a plus.
- Demonstrated superior skills in leading and managing process improvement and multi-functional projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate and impart technical accounting knowledge and information in an easy to understand manner. Ability to communicate decisions while educating at the same time.
- Establish good working relationships with a diverse population.
- Solid understanding of SOX, compliance and internal controls
- Strong sense of service orientation, with a proven ability to balance controls and compliance. Ability to develop solutions in situations where many variables are constrained and initiative to constantly improve the department.
- High level of professionalism and integrity with a demonstrated ability to work productively with, and gain confidence of, many levels of an organization. Ability to maintain focus, successfully execute plans, bring closure to activities, tasks and projects. Proven track record of getting things done.
- Proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office; strong Excel skills and Oracle accounting system
- Other skills necessary for this job is excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills, an attention to detail, an ability to work independently, and the ability to work in a fast paced environment as an agent of change
- Flexibility to perform other functions as directed
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat.
- Rarely stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
- Routine extended working hours during peak cycles; travel to school/unit sites across university.
*The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.*Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/3061041
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency