Clinical Laboratory Specialist
The Pathology Department is seeking a Clinical Laboratory Specialist
who oversees a variety of complex experimental tests and leads in development of new molecular assays and techniques. This role requires subject matter expertise/knowledge to execute and analyze results. Performs both research and clinical assay development. Multiple tests will be developed in parallel. Independence in reviewing, understanding and applying literature in consultation with pathologists is required. Coordinates with other staff doing developmental work and collaborates with technologists who will be performing the test clinically once development has been completed. Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Using comprehensive scientific knowledge, maintains both research and clinical diagnostic test environment.
- Performs a variety of complex technical procedures on different specimens, including but not limited to: blood, bone marrow, and formalin-fixed paraffin embedded specimens in the assigned laboratory.
- Maintains divisional compliance with all regulatory standards and adheres to all established QA/QC procedures. Documents results under quality assurance guidelines and provides recommendations to technical staff, ensuring reproducibility of results.
- Follows standard operating procedures for preparing samples developed for molecular assays in support of patient care and research.
- Troubleshoots implementation of new protocols to the lab SOP's. Develops new quality standards for molecular assays.
- Works closely with the Laboratory Manager and Medical Directors to understand their scientific questions/aims, and offer support, implementation, and analysis of any type of molecular assay to reach their goals.
- Performs literature search and review, and orders necessary supplies, in preparation for development.
- Ensures that data is accurately maintained and organized.
- Records timelines, status reports, and logs.
- Maintains laboratory notebooks.
- Writes SOPs and validation summaries for completed development projects, and assists in manuscript writing.
- Works with laboratory support staff and assists in the training of technical personnel.
- Strictly complies with patient care and confidentiality policies, HIPAA regulations.
- Performs miscellaneous related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
- 5 years experience in a comparable laboratory performing relevant techniques required or equivalent.
- Master's Degree with related graduate research may substitute for some experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Master's Degree and knowledge of clinical and research testing.
- Work produced is subject to precise measure of quantity and quality.
- Attention to detail is critical to the successful performance of this job as it directly affects patient diagnoses or research outcomes.
Clinical Laboratory Environment:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, see and hear.
- May sit or stand for prolonged periods and occasionally required to walk.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, touch, feel, and type.
- May reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Prolonged vision requirements including viewing computer screen, paper reports/documents, charts and results.
- Visual acuity is required to distinguish fine gradation of color or structure and closely examine specimens microscopically. Must possess manual dexterity sufficient to work with small instruments and delicate equipment.
- May transport equipment and supplies usually less than 40 pounds from one area to another. May be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with proper training, or precautions/lifting aides.
- Exposure to toxins and infectious agents exist, but potential for personal injury or harm is minimized if established safety and health precautions are followed.
- Working in laboratory where there may be discomforts due to odors, noise, temperature fluctuations, and working around lab equipment.
- In some areas work space is confined; therefore mobility may be difficult.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities, knowledge, or abilities required of the position.
- Staff may be required to complete annual competency review, and must ensure compliance with Hospital Policy, Laboratory Policy & Procedure, Health, Safety & Environment regulations, and all applicable privacy & confidentiality laws/practices.
- Must be detail oriented, organized, and accurate.
- Many department laboratories operate 24/7 with schedules on day, evening, or night shift.
- Rotating schedules which may include weekend work and holiday assignment.
- Overtime possible when authorized/needed to meet business and patient needs.
Classified Title: Clinical Laboratory Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $53,020 - $72,930 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Pat Molecular Diagnostics Lab
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Clinical-Laboratory-Specialist-MD-21205/882500500/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency